Sir Usain Bolt ?

Yes or no ?

• Yes

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 33 73.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
100% yes from me btw.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
He's dominated events over a long period that practically every country in the world participates in. With respect to Sobers, he dominated a sport that is only played seriously by half a dozen countries

The only fly in the ointment is the spectre of drug cheating hanging over Jamaican sprinting

TVC

Wait a couple of years, if he uses his abilities and status to develop young athletes, and to work in communities then definitely. If he buggers off to Hollywood to make a quick buck then perhaps not. The honour should recognise his character and contribution, not just his narrow sporting achievement.

According to Wikipedia, Barbados did not have their own honours system when we gave a knighthood to Sobers. Jamaica has it's own honours system. It would be colonial to give him a British honour for his achievements representing Jamaica.

Edit: Oh, he already has received a minor honour. I imagine he'll get a higher one eventually.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
According to Wikipedia, Barbados did not have their own honours system when we gave a knighthood to Sobers. Jamaica has it's own honours system. It would be colonial to give him a British honour for his achievements representing Jamaica.

Given the Queen is the Jamaican head of state, wouldn't she take advice from her Prime Minister (of Jamaica) on which Jamaicans to honour? Thus a knighthood would be a Jamaican honour

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The honours system has been devalued by giving a knighthood to that crook Phillip Green. I did enjoy it though when Beckham didn't get when he thought he was so deserving and called them a load of cucking funts.
June 2006 (when he was knighted) was a different time, wasn't it? Beckham's true colours showed. I like his wife more and more, oddly.

Top Bottom