Sir Usain Bolt ?

Yes or no ?

• Yes

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 33 73.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Given the Queen is the Jamaican head of state, wouldn't she take advice from her Prime Minister (of Jamaica) on which Jamaicans to honour? Thus a knighthood would be a Jamaican honour
No. Jamaica has it's own honours system, so they won't put forward their citizens for British Honours.

And they would only do this if they felt the British Honours system was superior. I doubt they do.

Everything that had gone before was OK within you?
You only have to look at Sir Lancelot, cuckolding his sovereign.

Also, Sir Geoffrey Archer.

Edit: Robert Mugabe!!! Benito Mussolini. Nicolae Ceaucescu.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37714540

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If honours are to be given at all, they should only be awarded to people who have contributed to the greater good at personal sacrifice. Sportsmen and women compete only to satisfy their own desires and egos, mostly earning considerable wealth in the process. To give them to those and many others of the same ilk (Actors, business people and musicians etc) makes a mockery of the whole system.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The stats tell all - he ran a season's best in that race at 9.95. Classy guy to come at all.

Oxo

Guru
[QUOTE 4908246, member: 76"]But you would miss the bus if you were more than 19.19 seconds late for it wouldn't you? Bolt wouldn't![/QUOTE]
If the bus stop was more than 200 metres away Bolt would need to stop for a rest and miss the bus. I wouldn't.

Drago

Legendary Member
Sir Garfield Sobers. Why not Sir Usain Bolt ?

Isn't he Jamaican? Does that count, or would it be an honourory Knighthood, in which case he couldn't be a Sir?

Edit - I'm no expert, but a quick Google search indicates that as a Commonwealth citizen he would indeed be entitled to use 'Sir'. Unlike that unkempt chap Geldoff, who isn't entitled to use Sir, but who the great unwashed call Sir anyway

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
I don't see any need to go rushing into honouring sportspeople, we need to be sure they are worthy of honours.
We didn't rush in the past, here is an extract from Wiki that I came across whilst researching British swimmer Judith Grinham who won gold at the 1956 Olympics in Melbourne.
"In 2007, she was appointed a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the Queen's Birthday Honours list, 50 years after winning gold in Melbourne."

Last edited:
Top Bottom