Sizing advice & Reach Advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I currently ride a kuota kharma which has been a great bike for me (and still is !) - Its coming up 8 years old now and would like a new bike. One of the contenders is the de rosa idol - however I have read they have larger sizing and some reviewers have struggled to the position sorted.
My current Kuota is a medium - with a 535 top tube - De rosa do a 529 or 543 - Iam thinking the 529 top tube would be better for me but that gets me a bike with a smaller head tube 118 (145 v Kuota) - De rosa list reach as 378 - frustratingly kuota don't list reach.
I am of an age where bike fit is important - I take every new bike for a pro fitting.
I have included the geometry's of the idol (maybe new bike) and my existing bike Kuota - Any thoughts on whether the de rosa would fit. I don't have a de rosa stockist local - not that it would tell me much from a 15-20 minute test ride. any advice welcome {IDOL STATS ARE FIRST]
idol.jpg
kharma.jpg

Last edited:
When comparing different bikes for the same fit, I prefer to ignore the measurements based on angles and use an [x,y] coordinate system with [0,0] at the bottom bracket. Note x=0 on the top tube and note the vertical height y,and measure fore, aft, up down from this position.

jessand

Veteran
Just looking at the size charts, the de rosa head tube is very short at 118mm compared to your current 145mm on the karma. This is likely to be a more difficult issue to resolve than fitting a shorter stem to counter the 8mm extra reach of the larger de rosa. The larger size de rosa only has a 135mm head tube so you would need to ensure you have enough steerer to add a 10mm spacer to get to your current position. In short the de rosa is a much more race position, is that really what you need. Maybe talk to your bike fitter

John_S

Über Member
Hi kingrollo,

I'm not an expert in bike fitting so apologies for that but I do appreciate just how important it is to get a bike that fits well. I've learnt from a past mistake having bought a frame with geometry which just doesn't suit me and it's not comfortable for all day riding. Therefore even more so than looking at a bikes price and spec etc. if I'm considering a new bike now the geometry chart is the first place that I go to in order to try and judge whether it would be right for me or not.

In your message your say that you take every bike that you have for a bike fitting. You've mentioned your current Kuota Kharma but do you have other bikes that either do or don't work for your geometry/size/bike fit wise? For example have you had a bike which doesn't work for you and is the De Rosa that you're looking at closer to the Kuota Kharma that you like or closer to something that you haven't got on with?

Also what type of riding do you do? As jessand has mentioned above the De Rosa may well have a more race orientated position than your Kuota and is that what you want from a bike to suit your style of racing?

I definitely appreciate how important it is to get the fit of a bike right and although it's a great idea to be able to take a bike for a test ride if you can. However whilst it might give you some impression of what the bike will be like and might show up some instant issues that could be there like you I'm not really sure how much you can learn about how comfortable a bike will be to ride all day over the duration of a 15-20 test ride.

Luckily there are so many bikes out there with different geometries there will hopefully always be something to suit all different riders and the style of riding that they intend on doing.

I also think that some manufacturers are making greater efforts to make bikes that fit a greater range of people. Take Fairlight Cycles for example because they offer two different versions of each of their frames, a regular version and a tall version, in order to accommodate different body shapes and I think that is a fantastic idea in order to offer bikes that will be a better fit for a greater number of people. See their Fit Form Function principle:-

View: https://vimeo.com/180866780

https://fairlightcycles.com/why-fairlight/fit-function-form/?v=79cba1185463

Plus if you bike a bike/frame on their website rather than having to just interpret their geometry chart yourself you can put in your dimensions height etc. etc. into their website and it will recommend which size will work for your with guides according to riding style. Apologies because I appreciate that doesn't help with your intended purchase of the De Rosa because the same facility but if you're planning on spending say between 2-4k on a bike I appreciate how important it is that the bike is going to fit you and be comfortable over the duration of your intended riding.

Unfortunately I'm not a bike fitting expert myself but hopefully you manage to get enough advice to help you get the right bike for you.

Good luck!

John

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
... I take every new bike for a pro fitting....
There maybe value in having a fitting before you obtain the new bike; to help you choose the correct size.

The chances are a "pro fitting" will be with someone who has access to fitting jig, many of which work on handle bar X Y, the 462 and 580mm below on a BikeCAD drawing I have made based on the Derosa data you have listed. Although the manufacturer does not list handle bar X Y the fitter should be able guesstimate, from the bike image they can roughly see the upper head stack height, spacer height, stem length and angle, plus handlebar reach and drop (although the latter will be more difficult to visually gauge); all of which will allow them to set their jig so you can compare the bike fit to your current bike.

Referencing your current bike it's advisable to take that to the fitting with you, normally measuring saddle height and set back (730 and 57mm below) then saddle tip to shifter and bar height (684 and 847 below) which is far easier to measure on a current bike than the handlebar and saddle X/Y coordinates. By the same token the fitter will be able to cross reference these same easier to measure set of dimensions across to their jig, taking into consideration saddle length and bar reach-drop differences between your bike and what they may have fitted to their jig; although they will normally have a variety of both they may not have any with the exact same dimensions.
CycleChatDerosa.jpg

Referring to your Kuota Kharma, as was the norm' 8 years ago stack and reach was referenced far less than it is now. They also do not list fork length, but using the same components, forks included as the Derosa which in fairness may not be drastically different, for what it's worth I have used as much of the data as they have listed on another BikeCAD drawing for you.

Although the Kuota top tube is longer, the bike fit reach is actually shorter due to the the extra stack height, as you can see using the same cockpit set up as the Derosa the Kuota bar height is significantly higher. Note I have only used 15mm worth of headset spacers, most will by default initially be supplied with something more like 30mm, especially in these two examples, from the illustrations I found of both on 'Google Images' each appears to have quite a shallow upper head set stack; many bikes use far higher in a bid to achieve stealthy additional height.

CycleChatkuota.jpg

In both cases relating to my drawings I do not know headset stack, stem length, angle and even depth, bar reach-drop and shifter positioning. For both bikes I've had to fill in the gaps where the data is not listed; the Derosa doesn't list fork rake for example so I have had to use the 'front center' at 580mm which alludes to what the fork rake needs to be. I also have to assume that the provided data is correct; you'll be amazed how often I have questioned a manufacturers listed data and been provided with an update; treat both as a starting point only.

Regarding component sizing that directly influences the bike fit, as you'd expect some manufacturers list more than others. Trek for example on their dealer 'b2b' website list for each bike the bar width reach-drop, stem angle-length, plus the headset and spacer stack height they've used for each individual size bike; all of which are of value to the 'fitter' when helping the customer choose a size of a potential new bike as they will have to guesstimate far less. Trek are of course a huge company, I doubt Derosa would provide as much information, plus, they are Italian after all ;).

The fitter may not, infact probably not, have all the data they need, like the exact dimensions of bar reach and drop for example, but they should be able to get the sizing fit close enough to advise what should be a viable proposition interms of what size bike you need to choose; then fit you to that choice on collection with the correct component sizes. Not only with headset spacers, stem length and shifter position but bar reach, width and depth, Bontrager alone include 75, 81, 93,100 mm reach bars and that's just some of them, other bar manufacturers will also have a variety of sizes to help achieve the desired bike fit.

Well worth making sure the bike you buy is the right size, I fit so many on recently bought bikes that after the fit the conclusion was given the chance they would have chosen a different size.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
There maybe value in having a fitting before you obtain the new bike; to help you choose the correct size.

The chances are a "pro fitting" will be with someone who has access to fitting jig, many of which work on handle bar X Y, the 462 and 580mm below on a BikeCAD drawing I have made based on the Derosa data you have listed. Although the manufacturer does not list handle bar X Y the fitter should be able guesstimate, from the bike image they can roughly see the upper head stack height, spacer height, stem length and angle, plus handlebar reach and drop (although the latter will be more difficult to visually gauge); all of which will allow them to set their jig so you can compare the bike fit to your current bike.

Referencing your current bike it's advisable to take that to the fitting with you, normally measuring saddle height and set back (730 and 57mm below) then saddle tip to shifter and bar height (684 and 847 below) which is far easier to measure on a current bike than the handlebar and saddle X/Y coordinates. By the same token the fitter will be able to cross reference these same easier to measure set of dimensions across to their jig, taking into consideration saddle length and bar reach-drop differences between your bike and what they may have fitted to their jig; although they will normally have a variety of both they may not have any with the exact same dimensions.
View attachment 403374

Referring to your Kuota Kharma, as was the norm' 8 years ago stack and reach was referenced far less than it is now. They also do not list fork length, but using the same components, forks included as the Derosa which in fairness may not be drastically different, for what it's worth I have used as much of the data as they have listed on another BikeCAD drawing for you.

Although the Kuota top tube is longer, the bike fit reach is actually shorter due to the the extra stack height, as you can see using the same cockpit set up as the Derosa the Kuota bar height is significantly higher. Note I have only used 15mm worth of headset spacers, most will by default initially be supplied with something more like 30mm, especially in these two examples, from the illustrations I found of both on 'Google Images' each appears to have quite a shallow upper head set stack; many bikes use far higher in a bid to achieve stealthy additional height.

View attachment 403375
In both cases relating to my drawings I do not know headset stack, stem length, angle and even depth, bar reach-drop and shifter positioning. For both bikes I've had to fill in the gaps where the data is not listed; the Derosa doesn't list fork rake for example so I have had to use the 'front center' at 580mm which alludes to what the fork rake needs to be. I also have to assume that the provided data is correct; you'll be amazed how often I have questioned a manufacturers listed data and been provided with an update; treat both as a starting point only.

Regarding component sizing that directly influences the bike fit, as you'd expect some manufacturers list more than others. Trek for example on their dealer 'b2b' website list for each bike the bar width reach-drop, stem angle-length, plus the headset and spacer stack height they've used for each individual size bike; all of which are of value to the 'fitter' when helping the customer choose a size of a potential new bike as they will have to guesstimate far less. Trek are of course a huge company, I doubt Derosa would provide as much information, plus, they are Italian after all ;).

The fitter may not, infact probably not, have all the data they need, like the exact dimensions of bar reach and drop for example, but they should be able to get the sizing fit close enough to advise what should be a viable proposition interms of what size bike you need to choose; then fit you to that choice on collection with the correct component sizes. Not only with headset spacers, stem length and shifter position but bar reach, width and depth, Bontrager alone include 75, 81, 93,100 mm reach bars and that's just some of them, other bar manufacturers will also have a variety of sizes to help achieve the desired bike fit.

Well worth making sure the bike you buy is the right size, I fit so many on recently bought bikes that after the fit the conclusion was given the chance they would have chosen a different size.

Wow - thank you for that - that is so kind of you to take that much time to assist me.

Ive always worked on a 535 top tube - but realist now there is much to it than that.

Many years ago I had a pinarello surprise, which gave me a low position, which was great - but when I got on the kharma and the fitter put me in a much more upright position - it was kind of a relief ! - When I had the pro fit on the kuota he flipped the stem - and put a couple of spaces underneath - I think I could go a little lower - but my injuries, strains etc have been much reduced since the pro fit.

Sensible choice would this
https://www.bike-science.com/products/kuota-kiral-carbon-road-bike
535 top tube 160mm head tube - looks the part - but I can't help thinking is that just the same as the bike I have !

Last edited:
Top Bottom