Skitching the back of buses or trucks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What are your thoughts on skitching? I do it mostly on buses, but have done on trucks as they have large things to hold onto.

Also, is it illegal to skitch in England? I know there's a road traffic act 1988 section 28 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/28

which says "A person who rides a cycle on a road dangerously is guilty of an offence."

What exactly can be seen as "dangerous cycling" dangerous to the public? myself? I mean, cycling in London is a danger itself. lol Also, as no criminal offence has been commited, but a statute has been broken (if you consent to the statute that is) then what can they actually do you for? no harm, loss or injury has occurred and I would like them to explain to me as to what crime they suspect me to have committed.

I know there's going to be a few forums users here that will leave silly remarks, but I'm hoping for some insight on this from one's point of view in a serious manner. Cheers

crazyjoe101

I can't comment on the law, but I can say that I would not grab onto a vehicle to get pulled along. I can think of a multitude of ways that could go badly for me. Occasionally I will 'draft' a vehicle, but there are very few oppertunities for me to do this 'safely'.

"cycling in London is a danger itself."
Any cycling is a 'danger', but I've found that it's much easier to cycle safely in London than it is anywhere else I've cycled (my particular list is rather short though).

"lol Also, as no criminal offence has been commited, but a statute has been broken (if you consent to the statute that is) then what can they actually do you for?"
Good luck argueing that point with the Police.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
My dad used to do it to get up Sundridge Hill coming back from working at the paper mill in 1957, it's not something I've ever been tempted by though (well, tempted beyond the very idleist of thoughts anyway).

machew

Veteran
Even the pro do this on le Tour
"Jose Joaquin Rojas. Rojas, a Movistar rider and four-time Tour finisher, was ejected from the race by the Tour jury after he used a tow from one of his team cars on the 2,115-meter Tourmalet. Rojas was also fined 200 Swiss franc ($220), and the team car was banned from the rest of the race. TV cameras didn’t appear to have caught the infringement, but the tow must have been prolonged to earn such a harsh penalty. Rafal Majka of Poland received only a 50 Swiss franc fine and a 10-second penalty for briefly grabbing onto a motorbike antenna at the foot of Wednesday’s final climb."

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have never held onto a bus or other vehicle to get a tow. If it is illegal, or constitutes dangerous cycling is not the question, it is just plain stupid and is not funny or clever. You would not be in control of the bike, or able to stop quickly should you get squeezed between other vehicles or pavements/road furniture.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Isn't it a bit like driving to the gym? With a possible detour to A&E....

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've never heard of skitching, but now that I know what it means, it's certainly not something I'd ever do. I'm happy to draft, and do it quite a lot, but actually hanging onto another vehicle just seems clearly excessively risky.

As to whether it's illegal, I doubt there's any specific law against it, but I expect any cop who was minded to could easily (and defensibly) arrest a skitcher under one of the general 'dangerous cycling/road-using' laws...and a magistrate might very well follow through with a £100 fine and a stern warning not to be such a silly fellow ever again. The skitcher could appeal of course, but I doubt (s)he would get very far.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Any cycling is a 'danger',
Getting out of bed is dangerous. Breathing in London air is dangerous.
Cycling is not any more dangerous than the above, as I tell the odd person who ridicules me for not wearing a plastic h**met.
As for skitching, hardly crime of the century but somewhat risky if the towing vehicle has to stop suddenly. Not something I would choose to do.

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
Thankfully where I live if I missed the 'opportunity' to grab a passing vehicle it would be about thirty minutes before the next one came past...
I can only see the behaviour described as being more ammunition for 'them and us' resentment on the part of motorists, as well as being fundamentally unsafe. If you're close enough to grab the vehicle surely that's just the reverse of a situation we would quickly be complaining about if they were that close when passing a cyclist?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom