Skitching the back of buses or trucks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
There must be a lot of AA men in clink then :laugh:
Nah, they do the towing.

young Ed

Veteran
i had to google skitching as i wasn't sure what it was but this was one of the images on google images
P5290535.JPG
the result of skitching on a skate board

Its illegal to be towed by another vehicle on the highway.
we have towed plenty of tractors and cars with other tractors and never been a problem. infact our tractor has a sticker in it saying 'never tow this vehicle unless the high, low reverse lever is in neutral' this means the tractor is allowed to be towed?
It is a shame you only want serious answers, it somewhat limits the available responses to this nonsense.
he only wants serious responses but you don't always get what you want! :tongue:
Cheers Ed

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
What are your thoughts on skitching? I do it mostly on buses, but have done on trucks as they have large things to hold onto.

Also, is it illegal to skitch in England? I know there's a road traffic act 1988 section 28 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/28

which says "A person who rides a cycle on a road dangerously is guilty of an offence."

What exactly can be seen as "dangerous cycling" dangerous to the public? myself? I mean, cycling in London is a danger itself. lol Also, as no criminal offence has been commited, but a statute has been broken (if you consent to the statute that is) then what can they actually do you for? no harm, loss or injury has occurred and I would like them to explain to me as to what crime they suspect me to have committed.

I know there's going to be a few forums users here that will leave silly remarks, but I'm hoping for some insight on this from one's point of view in a serious manner. Cheers

It's illegal and it's stupid.

GC

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
There was a rag and bone man who had a flat bed old lorry who visited our street who used to let us hold onto the back of his clapped out lorry and give us a tow up the steep lane for a laugh, but that was in the mid 60s when we spent all day outside doing all sorts of daft things. The lorry was so slow it could only manage walking pace up the hill so if we didn''t hold on the fitter ones could beat it up the hill anyway.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Bin men used to be able to ride on the back of the bin lorry, not any more, due to elf n safety.
And whatever happened to running boards?

Archie_tect

(2) If, for the purpose of being drawn, a person takes or retains hold of a motor vehicle or trailer while in motion on a road he is guilty of an offence.

What a clever piece or copywriting... I was just about to suggest if you didn't take or retain hold while in motion, then you could legally take or retain hold when the vehicle was stopped before it then started to move, then claiming that you did not take hold while it was in motion, but the retain bit clobbers that argument!

These law makers have to think laterally!

sidevalve

Über Member
I think most people on here will disagree with you on that one.

As for hanging onto the back of a vehicle, it's a pity anyone is so unfit that they need to do that for a rest but if they break their own neck who's going to care? :smile:
Actually I suspect the poor sod who has to clean up the soggy bloody mess after you've been mangled might not be too impressed [and yes I have seen the remains of someone who was crushed by the rear wheels of a truck].

Archie_tect

Jeremy Clarkson should be prosecuted for the time he was skiing being towed by a jaguar on what looked like a public road... he was shown very clearly doing so on camera. :highfive:
[It was probably closed for filming.... doh]

Archie_tect

Heavy steam powered road rollers used to have to be preceded by a man walking in front waving a red flag... my F-in-L's dad had the job of driving one in Newton Abbott, the man was employed to warn approaching traffic because drivers couldn't see what was in front of them .... he ran over the flag man.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
I've skitched on a long-board, when living in America where it was common in some parts. You're standing upright and can be behind or in front of a vehicle so balancing is easy. Probably not the wisest thing I've done, but it was good fun.

To attempt it on a bicycle would be absolutely stupid.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It's probably dangerous and illegal, but on top of that it's just really bad manners. Who do you think you are, Marty McFly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom