Skitching the back of buses or trucks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Isn't it harder to do these days - the old Routemaster had a big pole on the back installed to help cyclists get a tow, but they got rid of 'em.

Write to Boris - I'm sure he'd be able to get handles re-installed on the back of buses and taxis

Globalti

Legendary Member
In school years a pal of mine was labouring up a long hill when a guy he knew on a big torquey British motorbike pulled alongside and offered him a tow. My pal grabbed the luggage rack, motorcyclist gave it some throttle and nearly tore his hand off!

On the TOB a few years ago I saw a young Euskaltel rider holding onto what looked like a very sticky water bottle being held out of the team car window, all the way up Waddington Fell by the look of it.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Isn't it harder to do these days - the old Routemaster had a big pole on the back installed to help cyclists get a tow, but they got rid of 'em.

Write to Boris - I'm sure he'd be able to get handles re-installed on the back of buses and taxis
That's what bungee cords were invented for!

classic33

Leg End Member
i had to google skitching as i wasn't sure what it was but this was one of the images on google images
P5290535.JPG
the result of skitching on a skate board

we have towed plenty of tractors and cars with other tractors and never been a problem. infact our tractor has a sticker in it saying 'never tow this vehicle unless the high, low reverse lever is in neutral' this means the tractor is allowed to be towed?

he only wants serious responses but you don't always get what you want! :tongue:
Cheers Ed
Video of you towing the tractor with you on the towing vehicle(your bike) then.

OP
OP
TheLondonCyclist
I think most people on here will disagree with you on that one.

As for hanging onto the back of a vehicle, it's a pity anyone is so unfit that they need to do that for a rest but if they break their own neck who's going to care? :smile:
Are you assuming that I'm unfit? lol you must not have seen my videos, but the skitching thing is all about the fun of it, not because I or someone is tired. Cheers for your input, though :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
What's sketching!?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Hubster used to drive HGVs for a living and is horrified at the thought of someone grabbing on and getting towed. Absolutely horrified "Special breed of idiot" is the term he just used.
I've never heard the term 'skitching' before and it's not something that I would be dumb enough to do.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
What are your thoughts on skitching? I do it mostly on buses, but have done on trucks as they have large things to hold onto.

Also, is it illegal to skitch in England? I know there's a road traffic act 1988 section 28 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/28

which says "A person who rides a cycle on a road dangerously is guilty of an offence."

What exactly can be seen as "dangerous cycling" dangerous to the public? myself? I mean, cycling in London is a danger itself. lol Also, as no criminal offence has been commited, but a statute has been broken (if you consent to the statute that is) then what can they actually do you for? no harm, loss or injury has occurred and I would like them to explain to me as to what crime they suspect me to have committed.

I know there's going to be a few forums users here that will leave silly remarks, but I'm hoping for some insight on this from one's point of view in a serious manner. Cheers
If skitching is the same as snurjing then you shouldn't do it anywhere. Disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom