SKS Chromoplastics - fitting issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
I don't know if you have already fitted the flap but, when a friend was fitting mine, he used a soldering iron to make the holes in the guard, ever so gently. Mind you, there was a brief stinky moment from the plastic. He fixes lots of mudguards and flaps for people so I presume the end of the solder is only used for that purpose.

The guards didn't come with flaps. I've ordered some Audax Ecosse ones, but I'm slightly concerned that I've fitted the guards too close and the nut might rub on the tyre.

Katherine

Guru
The guards didn't come with flaps. I've ordered some Audax Ecosse ones, but I'm slightly concerned that I've fitted the guards too close and the nut might rub on the tyre.
Mine didn't come with flaps. We've just had a job lot made up for the club and my friend has a roll of black stuff (sorry to be vague) that he cuts to shape to make flaps, then he puts a stripe of red reflective tape on.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran

I was going to say that your front guard looks very short. You'll need a long flap if you want to keep your BB and downtube clean. Might a daub of grab adhesive between flap and guard, supported by waterproof clear tape around the outside, do the job if there's no room for a bolt?

Last edited:

Nebulous

Guru
I was going to say that your front guard looks very short. You'll need a long flap if you want to keep a claen your BB and downtube clean. Might a daub of grab adhesive between flap and guard, supported by waterproof clear tape around the outside, do the job if there's no room for a bolt?

It's the ones in this thread here. 29 cm overall. I could loosen the nuts on the stays and move the guards out a tad if necessary.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
It's the ones in this thread here. 29 cm overall. I could loosen the nuts on the stays and move the guards out a tad if necessary.
Nice flaps!

Are you planning on putting one on front and one on back? From the design I thought they were just meant for the rear, though I guess if the angles work there's no reason why you couldn't put one on the front.

Adjusting the stays and drilling the guard would definitely be a better option than sticking it on, I would have thought, provided you've left enough excess on the stay to slide them out a cm or two.

Top Bottom