Slapped by car passenger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
I just hope the police speak to the driver before they pass me again.

I'd like to suggest a few other things they could do to the culprits:evil:

..but let's hope the whole incident doesn't just get lost in the police paperwork.

Maz

Guru
Freewheeler said:
When I got home, it turned out to be tomato sauce...
It's a shame you couldn't ketchup with them.

(couldn't resist)
*reaches for coat*

Rhythm Thief said:
It's not just cyclists who get this ... someone threw a bottle at my lorry once. It missed, but was clearly intended to hit the windscreen.;)

Doesn't say much for their aim!

There have been a number of fatalities with vehicles caused by thrown (or dropped) objects. I suspect that as always with cycling these incidents are under reported and there is no accurate record of the injuries caused.

I know that you have to prove "intent", but there needs to be some hard and effective way of not treating these incidents as a "prank" and recognising the potential severity of the actions.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Cunobelin said:
I know that you have to prove "intent", but there needs to be some hard and effective way of not treating these incidents as a "prank" and recognising the potential severity of the actions.
People who don't understand that objects thrown from fast moving vehicles are dangerous could perhaps have the physics of it demonstrated to them. Repeatedly.

ralph

Sh4rkyBloke said:
"28mph, nice one mate!!"
I glanced at my computer and said "23... but cheers"
They went on their way. :smile::smile:

it's quite a shock when someone breaks your stereotypes like that isn't it! :smile: restores your faith in humanity... briefly... until some other to55er comes along of course.

Bodhbh

Guru
So the abuse is an occupational hazard? :/

Started cycling for the first time since I was a kid since April and generally been pleasantly suprised about the treatment from other road users. I got the impression (dunno where from) I was in for non-stop abuse.

Worst I've had so far is a couple of rather close overtakes from some boy racers in their chavmobiles, oh and a young lad on a BMX giving me the dickhead gesture. I think the bike helmet set him off.

OP
OP
Freewheeler

Freewheeler

So the abuse is an occupational hazard?

This is the first time I've had this happen in several years of commuting (on and off). The mix of people on the roads seems to be the same as anywhere else, nearly all decent with the rare nasty one.

domtyler

Über Member
User said:
Hmmm... just to be pedantic, you don't always have to prove 'intent' to cause harm. There are certain offences where the failure to consider the consequences is part of the charge.

I would describe that as a valuable nugget of information rather being pedantic.

OP
OP
Freewheeler

Freewheeler

Well, after calling into the police station to chase things up a couple of weeks ago, the PC in charge got back to me. Apparently the person who owns the car is a good bit older than the people in the car when I was slapped. They visited the owner, but since no-one admitted driving the car they couldn't take it any further; without hard evidence, this is what I had expected. I imagine it was the son of whoever owned the car, and I just hope that a uniformed copper knocking on the door gave them as much of a nasty surprise as the original incident did to me.

I'm still a bit wary cycling along that road particularly as it turns into a 30MPH descent a little bit further on, but I haven't seen the offending car since.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Freewheeler said:
Well, after calling into the police station to chase things up a couple of weeks ago, the PC .......

Good to hear that the Police took the incident seriously enough to give them a visit, but a bugger that the nasty little fikkers who did this won't be nailed.

rustychisel

Freewheeeler, glad you're okay, but that response is, to be honest, a bit pissweak. In this country the registered owner is held to be liable - and is so in the case of speeding fines etc - unless they make a statement that someone else was driving the vehicle.
What you reported was assault, pure and simple.

Top Bottom