Sleeping bag guidance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any guidance?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
If no direct shop link (not including price comparison sites) shows up in the first 3 or 4 pages of a google search, an item is generally no longer in production.
Karrimor is a Sports Direct brand these days, and the only Karrimor sleeping bag listed on the SD site is the Hibernate at £17.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I remember this thread!

The kids have new bags. Everything else is as it was. And we did do a tour last summer with oversize kit. It worked OK actually.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I was just asking because I am supposed to be doing an off road coast to coast in the summer.
No reason why you shouldn't ask!
I only ever tour in warm climes and if it gets a bit nippy I wear a T shirt. With that in mind it depends on where and when you're going. I haven't spent more than £70 on a very compact bag and it has served for years. If I was to tour somewhere more extreme I'd get something of better quality.

I found the global 700 traveller lite in millets yesterday and I bought it but I've been looking for it on the Internet and couldn't find it. Is it possible to put images in these posts? For when you go touring what tent and sleeping set up do you use.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Images can be posted using the url and pasted into the box that pops up when you click the tree icon above.

Sara_H

Guru
My son has Decathlon' s three quarters length SIM. I think it was only £20ish, and was ideal length for him!
It ompared very favourably to my thermarest. OH is thinking of getting one as his SIM is kaput, we read a top tip somewhere about using shorter SIM' s and using your panniers bag at the end to insulate the bottom of your legs.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Thanks, what's your sleeping set up And what tent do you use?
My tent is a superb, but no longer made, Terra Nova Laserlarge 3 and I sleep on an Exped Downmat 7. The Synmat gets favourable reviews on here too.
I started on a 3/4 length thermarest but the Exped is much more comfortable. This has reminded me that I must put my 2 thermarests in the 'For Sale' section!

Thanks, what's your sleeping set up And what tent do you use?
I found the global 700 traveller lite in millets yesterday and I bought it but I've been looking for it on the Internet and couldn't find it. Is it possible to put images in these posts? For when you go touring what tent and sleeping set up do you use.

you'll need to post some more messages before you get the "upload a file" button in the bottom right of the edit (to the right of the "post reply" button. There is a minimum number, not sure what but could be 10.

As for tent & sleeping set-ups, it is each to their own and depends on so many different things. My OH and I use a Hilleberg (just start thinking ££££'s right now) Nammatj 3GT because we went off to cycle around the world. Fantastic tent, all seasons but it is not the sort of tent I would expect a single cycle tourer to be using in the middle of a French Summer. 2 of us in the middle of a norwegian summer as far north as you can get - yes, but even in the UK in summer it will be overkill. We used to use a Vango Spirit 200+ btw.

So as with all of the what tent request's (and similar to the what bike requests) there are a whole load of questions that need to be answered first.
where & when do you want to use the tent?
what weather are you likely to experience?
do you want to be able to sit up in the tent or would you prefer to be ultralight weight and forgo that pleasure?
what is your budget?

those are the main ones which should give us all something to worth with.

As for sleeping set-up. I have been a complete fan of Exped sleeping mats for a very long time now. Nothing beats a goodnights sleep after a day in the saddle and I have an Exped Downmat 7 with intergrated pump. Exped now have a number of other ranges since I purchased mine including a Ultra-light range which I would now consider if I was purchasing from new. As for sleeping bags, I won't cover that if you have already purchased one, because I currently have 4 bags (I think) all of them down and all of them serve different purposes - rather like bikes!

I use the gelert solo tent- great tent and also very light and cheap. For my sleeping set up I use the vango 3/4 length ultralite mat and a cotton liner and my new karrimor global 700 traveller lite. I keep it all in my topeak beam rack.

Top Bottom