Sleeping bag guidance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for the advice, i was also think off getting a handlebar system (wildcat gear mountain lion). What are your thoughts on them?

Any thoughts on the handlebar systems?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
As long as it doesn't compress the fill too much it may get the job done. Seem like an awkward place to carry a sleeping bag, if you need to use shifting and brakes alot. Generally, when I toured more, I kept the tent and sleeping bag on the top of the rear rack. But I see this system having the advantage of you not taking up that space with a sleeping bag, and having it free for other things.

Thanks, I am thinking of getting one because I need somewhere to put my tent. I already have the topeak MTX EXP trunk bag and rack- it is great, but i have to fit my roll mat, sleeping bag and cooking set up and tent in that and a rucksack that is already nearly full and those are just the bare minimums. I also have all of my food a d clothes to put in.

Alberto

Any thoughts on the handlebar systems?
I have toured with my mtb and an 8 litre Alpkit drybag attached to the handlebars with Gelert adjustable straps. A much cheaper option than the wildcat system, and currently used by many. You can easily attach a 13 litre bag (or bigger) as long as it does not interfere greatly with your brake and gear cables.

IMG_4756.JPG

Bag attached on to handlebars

Mr McHenry

I just picked up a Karrimore Global 900 Lite for £18 down from £55 at Blacks Milton Keynes, Kingston. I think they had a few in stock out the back...Any Camping I do will be strictly late-spring/summer in Europe with a cc in my pocket, so I'm hoping this 2 season will be warm enough. Says 870g on the pack.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359233121.967683.jpg

What are the ratings for the temperature. I have recently got the 700 and it is perfect for what I need, the extreme temperature rating is 0 but I am going to put a cotton liner in it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 39
Those straps may be a possibility for me thanks, does you dry bag not get torn on your break lines (or other)? If so can you do anything to stop it if possible

Alberto

Those straps may be a possibility for me thanks, does you dry bag not get torn on your break lines (or other)? If so can you do anything to stop it if possible
No, at least not yet. But I owned another similar (and bigger) bag from Alpkit that started to get torn when carried on the rear rack with similar straps. They kindly send adhesive patches that you iron on to the bag and problem solved. I guess gaffer tape would do too, if you were worried about contact points before the problem actually happens.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No, at least not yet. But I owned another similar (and bigger) bag from Alpkit that started to get torn when carried on the rear rack with similar straps. They kindly send adhesive patches that you iron on to the bag and problem solved. I guess gaffer tape would do too, if you were worried about contact points before the problem actually happens.

I see you like to go light. Out of interest which tent do you use?

Mr McHenry

What are the ratings for the temperature. I have recently got the 700 and it is perfect for what I need, the extreme temperature rating is 0 but I am going to put a cotton liner in it.

It says Extreme -5DegC, Comfort 8 to 20Deg C I'd be tucked up in in the nearest Formula1 long before it got anywhere near the Extreme limit!

Top Bottom