Sleeping bag guidance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In the next year or so, I have to replace the kids bags and buy new ones for myself and my wife. As such I want to buy ones suitable for cycle camping. So I'm looking for peoples views on suitable makes, temperature gradients to go for, filling and pack size and weight. With buying 4, I'm looking to keep the price down, so RAB bags, as an example would be out, probably below the £100 mark for each bag.

At the moment I'm thinking something like Ajungilak. I have an Anjugilak for winter camping and it's a nice bag, sumptiously warm but reallly I'm open to all thoughts and suggestions, including whether to go for down or synthetic. No need to rush the decision.

rowan 46

Über Member
down packs smaller and is warmer but if it gets wet it doesn't work well and of course takes ages to dry. I think you would be pushed to get a decent down one for £100. snugpak used to be well used by the british army and my softie has been pretty good for 2/3 season camping. A good mat is the secret to keeping warm. thermarest are the best of the thin ones fat airic are even better but bulkier. The better the insulation under you the lighter the bag can be.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Yes, there are some down bags in my budget but they are summer only bags and I am wary of down because of getting it wet. Not that I've ever got a sleeping bag wet, except once in a leaky borrowed tent.

Interesting what you say about the insulation. It's something else I have to get but I had not put so much importance on it. In the past I've been quite happy on foam mats and was going to go down that route again. I currently have thermarests but they are basecamp ones, no good for touring. That one needs more consideration.

chris grace

I use the same synmat all year round and ,again, recommend it.
As to sleeping bags try blacks for their own down range of bags.I got a -10 down bag for half price (£70) in a sale.
When you buy a doss bag ignore the extreme rating and look at the comfort rating,comfort means comfort, extreme means you will live but may lose a few bits like fingers nose and toes.

Hicky

Guru
The army dont issue Snugpak however many squaddies buy thier own(I have and one for the wife!).

I've got harrier10's and have use it through all weathers, I have wokeup once covered in ice having rolled out from underneath the basha.....they're warm.

Fairly pricey but if you look on ebay you may get the new sleep system which consists of 2 season and a 3 season which you use together in the winter.

T other dave

What are you useing these for, summer trips to France or winter trips to Norway? The reason I ask is people recommend the most expensive, bestest and usually over the top items. This summer I bought a Karrimor global 900 bag (28cmx17cm pack size)(£30) bag liner (£5) and vango self inflating 3/4 (£14) all pack up super small and weigh next to nowt. They were more than enough for France/Spain in july (never needed the liner).

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Late Spring to early autumn but mostly summer use, anywhere in Europe potentially. I take your point about price and quality and I will probably not buy 4 of something anyway but a range of stuff according to what each of us needs. So my wife is likely to get the best mat and a warmer bag than me. Son no2 is very fussy about the lining of his bag etc.... So the more suggestions the better.

Hicky

Guru
Any bag rated 0 deg C or below late spring can be cold!

Dont forget colour will be of interest to kids/wives.

I managed to get a Marmot rated to -5 for £25 from the discount Cotswolds in Bets y coed, always check the end of lines in camping shops.

Go outdoors/ Decathlon, your dilemma is for cycle camping you want tiny packsize but warmth as you probably wont have electric hookup, unfortunatly this means ££.
Silk/fleece/cotton liners pack down small enough if your son is ok with that.

http://www.militarykit.com/products/snugpak_sleeping_bags/snugpak_sleeping_bag_sleeper_xtreme.htm
£31.95 per bag

doog

Any bag rated 0 deg C or below late spring can be cold!

Dont forget colour will be of interest to kids/wives.

I managed to get a Marmot rated to -5 for £25 from the discount Cotswolds in Bets y coed, always check the end of lines in camping shops.

Go outdoors/ Decathlon, your dilemma is for cycle camping you want tiny packsize but warmth as you probably wont have electric hookup, unfortunatly this means ££.
Silk/fleece/cotton liners pack down small enough if your son is ok with that.

http://www.militaryk...eper_xtreme.htm
£31.95 per bag

I tend to look on this forum for advice on lightweight camping kit. The Alpkit bags get good reviews but always seem pretty sold out.

Plenty of talk about sleeping bags

http://www.outdoorsm...4/URN/5/V/8/SP/

OP
OP
C

Crackle

As an aside, I just wondered what people thought was an acceptable size and weight for a cycle camping sleeping bag and where they stored it. I have only ever cycle camped a few times, always with kit that wasn't for it, normally I hostel/B&B but I want to camp now when suitable. I think last time I did it, I stuffed a front pannier with my too large bag and that strikes me as an ideal place for a sleeping bag. Other times, I've just rolled it up in a bin bag on the carrier but they were cheap and big sleeping bags, I'm after getting it right this time.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

here's the snugpak I used when I used to backpack
http://www.patrolsto...ing-Comparison.
The addition of a silk liner traps an extra layer of air and makes it that bit warmer. It has a good compression sack with it and packs up pretty small.

I like the Snugpak bags. That one in your link looks good. I think I still favour synthetic over down, not only because of the wetness thing but because they are easier to care for. I think I also favour a lighter smaller summer bag with the liner to extend it. I've used the same technique when winter camping with a summer bag and have a 1 season fleece bag which I add when necessary, that would work for me. Not sure about the liner for the kids as they are out of kid size bags but won't fill an adult bag. I see tangle potential there.

doog

As an aside, I just wondered what people thought was an acceptable size and weight for a cycle camping sleeping bag and where they stored it. I have only ever cycle camped a few times, always with kit that wasn't for it, normally I hostel/B&B but I want to camp now when suitable. I think last time I did it, I stuffed a front pannier with my too large bag and that strikes me as an ideal place for a sleeping bag. Other times, I've just rolled it up in a bin bag on the carrier but they were cheap and big sleeping bags, I'm after getting it right this time.

I would say 800g would be my maximum weight. Anything this weight will pack down small and most come with straps to compress.. I like to pack my sleeping bag and mat in the same pannier.

Top Bottom