SMEG Kettle and Toaster

Which Kettle / Toaster Combo?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
so noisy you have to shout or cannot hear Radio Four. And not rebuildable like the toasters. And they leak.

pos.
You must have a duff one then as I have the very same kettle. Never leaked and no more noisy than any other kettle I've owned.

Billy Wizz

Über Member
Me and the wife walked into currys her heart was set on a Smeg, fridge freezer I was flush and was prepared to pay, but it was like something that I remember my gran showing everyone in the street back in the day.
I felt heartless when I pulled it to pieces but she agreed with me, so it was no sale, I hope the toaster does retro taste, bread on a fork in front of the fire the smell of singed hair and real butter priceless. Lol.

midlife

Guru
Why not buy loads of cheaper toasters and then you can have them placed around the house; no matter where you are you can always have some toast - you might need to have a number of loaves of bread around the house as well.

Quantity has a quality all of its own ...... As the saying goes :smile:

Shaun

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Dualit toaster for sure. Most of our toasters lasted around a year but the Dualit has kept going for nine years, plus it is cheap and easy to repair if an element does fail. It also does great toast - the heat is such that you get a crispy outside without drying the bread out inside.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I did have a dualit toaster (ex Mrs now has it) Whilst it was very good, it can't possibly be worth the money. That said I could just be tempted by another but can't remotely pretend it's sensible. In it's favour it is pretty good, and the lever underneath let's you peep at the toast and leave it in a bit more which is a pain on a pop-up. An element did fail on it but a new (and improved) element was reasonably priced - costing no mor than a normal new toaster.

If buying again, and it could happen, I'd get the model with (some or all) wide slots and a little frame you drop in as it'll do muffins and such not just thin bread.

Na, I NEED to spend that kind of money. It's no good me buying a cheaper one as that money is allocated (gift) - It's just the price point i'm looking at. It's like someone wanting to spend £40k on a car and people recommending you buy a Fiat 500. I know cheaper ones are just as good, but I need to spend that much! :smile:
If someone came on here and said "I need a car. The fiat 500 is perfect, and I love they way it looks but it's too cheap. Which of these more expensive cars that I don't like as much and don't give me extra features that I will use, should I buy?" I'd respond with "get the fiat".

Interesting that you should pick a Fiat 500. I was working for a non-UK bank in the City, and the bank had one parking place, used by the UK head. She would have been on high 6 figures at least. So what did she drive to work? A fiat 500. I assume she could have had any car she wanted, so she bought the one she liked the best, or was most convenient for driving and parking, not the the £100,000 car to reflect her status.

(though in the scheme of things spending too much on a toaster because it's a gift seems a very nice problem to have, and no harm is done. spending too much on a car for any reason seems a waste of resources)

This thread is turning into a real pot-boiler...'fiat justitia'. :cuppa:

TreeHuggery

I have a grill on my cooker..... guess I'm really lucky that it's designed with one of those huh? cos I'm able to toast bread on that without needing to have an extra appliance... it also has the added advantage that I don't need to check what setting someone else might have left it on ...
I have a kettle that tells me it's boiled by giving me a handy whistle too ....
Neat eh ;-)

speccy1

I`ve always been unlucky with kettles, have tried alsorts, the one I have now has been the best so-far, Morrison`s own brand, £9. Had it for several years and it`s been great. My toaster came from Lidl and was a similar price, also been very reliable. As an added bonus they are both red and match my kitchen nicely!!

That leaves me with about £180 out of the £200 for buying bike stuff:okay:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I don't get spending £200 on something with SMEG written on it, but now I've seen the most expensive kettle at JL, a space kettle that looks like set dressing from a Star Trek movie.

232430433?$prod_main$.jpg

Just buy that, and toast your bread over the gas ring.
What a load of fiddle. That's the worst piece of product design I've seen since Philippe Starck's stupid 'iconic' lemon squeezer:
twat.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If someone came on here and said "I need a car. The fiat 500 is perfect, and I love they way it looks but it's too cheap. Which of these more expensive cars that I don't like as much and don't give me extra features that I will use, should I buy?" I'd respond with "get the fiat".

Interesting that you should pick a Fiat 500. I was working for a non-UK bank in the City, and the bank had one parking place, used by the UK head. She would have been on high 6 figures at least. So what did she drive to work? A fiat 500. I assume she could have had any car she wanted, so she bought the one she liked the best, or was most convenient for driving and parking, not the the £100,000 car to reflect her status.

(though in the scheme of things spending too much on a toaster because it's a gift seems a very nice problem to have, and no harm is done. spending too much on a car for any reason seems a waste of resources)
Ah but is/was it the 500 or was it one of these little beauties

Fiat_500_Abarth_front.JPG

The Abarth variant. :hyper:

Top Bottom