Smidgaf - video - would you report this

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Can someone prove how the fitment and use of a camera will reduce the risk of injury whilst cycling on public roads?
Possibly not.

I think they're more for capturing fun moments to share with mates, such as crashing into trees, falling off onto rocks, etc.

When I got hit by the van driver I was on a super long commute - I was 3 miles from work - however the battery had died so it didn't capture it

The wittiness were the ones that got the van driver well and truly nailed

So no, it won't stop anything , it might not even capture what you need it to

But it's fun ;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Well, of course they can't reduce or eliminate the incident being filmed, nobody thinks that. I think they can affect future driver behaviour by preventing a lot of the stuff we all see on a day to day basis.

OTOH the process of camera, edit, YouTube upload, registration indexed on Google (and/or company name if liveried vehicle), report to Roadsafe or police, and report to company, together with all the helmet camera news articles means that driver behaviour is getting affected. More and more drivers are noticing and chatting about the cameras, and more and more are experiencing the consequences of some misbehaviour around cyclists. There's a sea change in driver responsibility and behaviour now, thanks to camera use. It's no longer a case of mistreat the cyclist and laugh off the occasional one who complains when they have nothing to back up their side of the story to police.

400bhp

Guru
Well, of course they can't reduce or eliminate the incident being filmed, nobody thinks that. I think they can affect future driver behaviour by preventing a lot of the stuff we all see on a day to day basis.

OTOH the process of camera, edit, YouTube upload, registration indexed on Google (and/or company name if liveried vehicle), report to Roadsafe or police, and report to company, together with all the helmet camera news articles means that driver behaviour is getting affected. More and more drivers are noticing and chatting about the cameras, and more and more are experiencing the consequences of some misbehaviour around cyclists. There's a sea change in driver responsibility and behaviour now, thanks to camera use. It's no longer a case of mistreat the cyclist and laugh off the occasional one who complains when they have nothing to back up their side of the story to police.

I haven't noticed any changes. Furthermore, if you believe that there has been a "sea change", then attributing all of that to camera use is ridiculous.

I'm bored of your posts on helmet cam use now tbh.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Can someone prove how the fitment and use of a camera will reduce the risk of injury whilst cycling on public roads?
Possibly not.

I think they're more for capturing fun moments to share with mates, such as crashing into trees, falling off onto rocks, etc.
To an individual or to all cyclists?
As soon as you start uploading any kind of material onto the internet of yourself cycling you are immediately open to being judged and criticised by others. If you cycle like a total plonker then you will be raised on that.
In turn that should make those of us that use them better than our previous selves as any kind of silly mistake by us will immediately be judged by others, thus we have to try and be squeaky clean.

As others have said before more, the more media attention that we get then hopefully the better as it should change drivers attitudes towards us and if people start being more cautious of us and around us then that can only be a good thing. (oh wait, you already complained about a guy that didn't overtake you on a duel carriageway, so maybe you don't like cautious drivers)

col

Legendary Member
They essentially mean the same thing but the term 'right of way' is often used by people when they want to make them selves look more important than other road users.
Your attempt to insult is rather childish gaz, I expected at least a direct name call from a man with your inteligence;)

col

Legendary Member
To an individual or to all cyclists?
As soon as you start uploading any kind of material onto the internet of yourself cycling you are immediately open to being judged and criticised by others. If you cycle like a total plonker then you will be raised on that.
In turn that should make those of us that use them better than our previous selves as any kind of silly mistake by us will immediately be judged by others, thus we have to try and be squeaky clean.

As others have said before more, the more media attention that we get then hopefully the better as it should change drivers attitudes towards us and if people start being more cautious of us and around us then that can only be a good thing. (oh wait, you already complained about a guy that didn't overtake you on a duel carriageway, so maybe you don't like cautious drivers)
Oh its changing drivers attitude towards us alright:laugh:

potsy

Rambler
I made no attempt to insult anyone.
Oh good, nor I ;)
:unsure: Thought it was compulsory in 'commuting' :boxing:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBH use a camera if you feel like it - I used a cheap MD80 for a few months until my shoulder condition was sorted out medically.

I think any camera distracts on the 'users' direction.

(oh wait, you already complained about a guy that didn't overtake you on a duel carriageway, so maybe you don't like cautious drivers)

In my eyes he was damn right incompetant and worthy of mention.
I think i can tell the difference between a normal cautious driver and one that may be dangerous to us cyclists.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I haven't noticed any changes. Furthermore, if you believe that there has been a "sea change", then attributing all of that to camera use is ridiculous.

I'm bored of your posts on helmet cam use now tbh.

Based on your logic, the government should disband all traffic policing, all speed cameras, all junction CCTV, all meter maids, etc, yes? That'd save the taxpayer a lot of money since none of these affect driving behaviour either, according to your logic.

Now I'm not suggesting camera cyclists are police in any way, but they are capable of bringing consequences in much the same way, and will have much the same effect.

col

Legendary Member
Based on your logic, the government should disband all traffic policing, all speed cameras, all junction CCTV, all meter maids, etc, yes? That'd save the taxpayer a lot of money since none of these affect driving behaviour either, according to your logic.

Now I'm not suggesting camera cyclists are police in any way, but they are capable of bringing consequences in much the same way, and will have much the same effect.

They dont have the same effect at all, they just annoy others when they are so rediculous in threatening people with youtube for normally nothing much. And dont get me started on the ones who cuase the problem in the first place eh "bent"^_^

Bicycle

I do think there is sometimes a positive or helpful outcome to some helmet-cam footage, but to put this in even the same paragraph as the benefit brought by the traffic police, speed cameras, traffic wardens and similar seems like hyperbole to me.

I've shown my offspring a few helmet-cam vids on YouTube to demonstrate situations I can't just conjour up in real life on a whim... Thanks to some of the Helmet-Cam brigade for that.

I think that anyone claiming any profound benefit beyond occasional use as a training tool is believing their own PR rather more than might be healthy.

By all means amuse yourselves, but be sure to remember that it is largely about just that: amusing yourselves.

In that way it is alarmingly similar to this habit I have of posting on a web forum. I can dream all I want, but the net effect is zero.

:whistle:

Top Bottom