So all those rumours about Robert Millar were true then...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't know if that is actually true or not, but it would make an interesting court case if one of the teams selected a female rider and she was refused by the organisers.
I had no idea, so I hit the google before posting.

http://www.marieclaire.com/culture/news/a21667/women-tour-de-france/

I doubt they'd have much of a case. If the TDF excludes women, and a court forced them to allow them to enter, then surely that means men would be able to enter any women's competition too.

JoshM

He did. And avoided tying himself in knots.

Can we refer to her achievements as a cyclist as I think Gary did if they were achieved when she was a he? Or should we not simply accept Robert Millar sometime KoM exists as a coherent idea alongside but separately to Philippa York expert pundit and commentator? The only person I know well who has reassigned her gender does not like his past (sporting) achievements to be presented as her own, as it were.

*dons flameproof suit*

I don't think a flame proof suit is required. I'd imagine, having transgender friends, that it would depend on the person. I know one playwright who is quite happy for there to be a connection between work she did prior to transition and her name prior to transition (within the context of that work) and her name. I know others, whose work life is less public, who would be deeply upset if such a connection was made. I think it comes down to the intent of those making the connection - in the case of the playwright I know, its often in the context of cementing her credentials as an accomplished playwright which is clearly in her interest. In the case of those who'd be upset I imagine the intent to be (at least seen as) slightly more malicious. In Philippas case I'd say its hard to cement her credentials as an expert in her field without discussing what she achieved under her previous name.

JoshM

[QUOTE 4876631, member: 259"]Blimey, reasonable opinion and more!

You could maybe chunk your text a bit though?[/QUOTE]

Chunk my text? Is it a bit small? Looks normal compared to other replies on my tablet

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I doubt they'd have much of a case. If the TDF excludes women, and a court forced them to allow them to enter, then surely that means men would be able to enter any women's competition too.
I would think that depends on how the event is described. The "Women's World Championship" is obviously an event to find the best female rider in the world, whereas the Tour de France and almost all elite category races (Outside of world and national title races where women have a separate event) are not and have never been described as events to find a male champion. If a team deemed someone good enough to take part I can't see on what grounds they could be excluded.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
He did. And avoided tying himself in knots.

Can we refer to her achievements as a cyclist as I think Gary did if they were achieved when she was a he? Or should we not simply accept Robert Millar sometime KoM exists as a coherent idea alongside but separately to Philippa York expert pundit and commentator? The only person I know well who has reassigned her gender does not like his past (sporting) achievements to be presented as her own, as it were.

*dons flameproof suit*
It's for the individual to decide, I think (as in, I would ask how they preferred those achievements to be addressed). I assume that the ITV team have done the same & scripted accordingly.

Drago

Legendary Member
The guy who did the tyres on my car is transgender. I honestly had no idea he was born female until I read his story on a transgender feature in our local chipwrapper.

He's cool with it, and that's all that matters. He did me a good price on the tyres too.

received_10154779931216326.jpeg

If anyone near York is interested in attending a meeting to discuss the proposed changes to the Gender Recognition Act and its impact on the rights and freedoms of women you'd be very welcome.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
And BBC has an interesting video with Philippa, just out today, if you haven’t seen it yet.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/41853191

MiK1138

Veteran
Saved me a job Beebo I seen this on the Scottish magazine type show last night and was planning on searching for it tonight

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Mod note:

Post deleted.

Please do not post links without a contextual reference to the thread itself. If there is no relationship between the link and the thread then please do not post at all. This helps to reduce confusion and potential derailment of the thread. Thanks.

Top Bottom