So many new road bikes, still non-disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You don't need to, most bikes are still rim brakes though discs are becoming very common and will soon be the norm. I'm building a new bike at the moment and I've gone for conventional rim brakes to keep the cost down though I'd prefer discs.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
The more you seem to look into it and listen to what is being said, discs will become more common in time, however there are still millions of bikes in the world with rim brakes so they wont be disappearing soon.
However once all of the pro teams switch over to discs then like most things, people will start to want the same so they will start to become even more popular. It is also interesting to note that the very high end stuff now is often being sold as disc only, I guess this will also trickle down to the more affordable versions.

I hope it stays that way. Eventually people may start to cotton on to the fact that disc brakes are a poor ( and completely unnecessary ) idea on a road bike, and the simple economics will dictate how the manufacturers react. Hopefully they’ll leave disc brakes where they belong, on CX, Gravel / adventure bikes, Hybrids and MTBs. I don’t think the fact that disc braked versions of ‘Halo’ models often cost hundreds of pounds more, for not much benefit, and a whole load more potentially complicated and expensive trouble, helps either.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I hope it stays that way. Eventually people may start to cotton on to the fact that disc brakes are a poor ( and completely unnecessary ) idea on a road bike, and the simple economics will dictate how the manufacturers react. Hopefully they’ll leave disc brakes where they belong, on CX, Gravel / adventure bikes, Hybrids and MTBs. I don’t think the fact that disc braked versions of ‘Halo’ models often cost hundreds of pounds more, for not much benefit, and a whole load more potentially complicated and expensive trouble, helps either.

I hope you are right, but I can see the manufacturers are so determined to push this issue it will probably be a case of the pros are told to ride disc braked bikes and once that happens sales will start to increase dramatically.

Funny enough, one of the big drivers for disc brakes on racing bikes is carbon wheels. Wannabe racers like carbon wheels but they perform very poorly with rim brakes. With disc brakes, you can have your carbon cake and eat it.
I really would have thought that rim crud would be the biggest driver, with mid-end bikes commuter type bikes starting to feature disc brakes on aluminium rims. But it is the other way round - disc brakes are coming from the top down, where carbon wheels are the primary driver.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
And same here too. That bike with have through-axles back and front too. Time's over for quick releases as well. Yet, I still want an aluminium frame.
When I see it, I'll buy it.

My only regret with my last purchase was thru axle on the front, but only QR on the rear, other than that it is perfect. Aluminium frame, hydraulic discs, good clearances, proper mudguard and rack mounts and best of all 68mm threaded BB.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
With the amount of cycling I do, especially in wet and grimy weather on my commute. Discs are a no brainer. I used to go through rims every 18 months. Pads I went through a pair every 3 months. With disc brakes I don't have to worry about that. Rims never wear out and pads last more then a year.

However for my leisure rides.. I mostly ride my Van Nick which is rim braked bike and have no plans to change.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
discs you really need to spend more to get the most of them, I had BB5 discs on my hybrid and they totally sucked.

I went with TRP Spyres as a replacement, and they were worth every penny.

BB7's are also far better then BB5's. They have never let me down and easy to adjust.

Top Bottom