So many new road bikes, still non-disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
No we don't. It might work on you, but marketing BS doesn't work on me I can assure you. If anyone out there is relying on selling me a plethora of pointless gimmicky rubbish I don't need in order to feed their kids, I'm afraid their kids will stay hungry and my money will be staying in my pocket.. As far as I'm concerned lugged 531 with a 6-speed on the back, quill stem, rim brakes, square taper cranks, 36 spoke alloys and decent puncture resistant tyres is all the modernity I need or want to enjoy a ride.
Don't want 11/12 speed cassettes, don't want electronic shifting, don't want e-bikes, don't want clipless, don't want lycra, don't want carbon, don't want discs, don't want power meters, don't want 29-ers, don't want suspension, don't want fat tyres, don't want headsets that require spacers for adjustment, don't want anything designed in a wind tunnel, don't want crappy press-fit BBs, don't want through axles, don't even really want QR hubs.

Yeah but some people actually like things that function better than they did in the past. So it isn't 'all' marketing hype. Some is I grant you.
People had a cars with a starting handles once and they worked perfectly. Despite that things moved on, now we have electric starter motors.

Whatever next huh? Soon cars will be doing more than 10mpg !!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
As far as I'm concerned lugged 531 with a 6-speed on the back, quill stem, rim brakes, square taper cranks, 36 spoke alloys and decent puncture resistant tyres is all the modernity I need or want to enjoy a ride.
Don't want 11/12 speed cassettes, don't want electronic shifting, don't want e-bikes, don't want clipless, don't want lycra, don't want carbon, don't want discs, don't want power meters, don't want 29-ers, don't want suspension, don't want fat tyres, don't want headsets that require spacers for adjustment, don't want anything designed in a wind tunnel, don't want crappy press-fit BBs, don't want through axles, don't even really want QR hubs.
Which is fair enough, if you'd stop implying that everyone who doesn't share your view is some sort of mug with more money that sense. I don't know how long you've been riding, but I first pinned a race number on my back in 1969 so I rode those older bikes you describe quite extensively, but I wouldn't touch one today because modern technology has made bikes easier to ride both further and faster.

And before you go on about simplicity and longevity a lot of the kit from back then was very crudely engineered by modern standards and no where near as reliable as the rose tinted glasses would have you believe.

si_c

Guru
Which is fair enough, if you'd stop implying that everyone who doesn't share your view is some sort of mug with more money that sense. I don't know how long you've been riding, but I first pinned a race number on my back in 1969 so I rode those older bikes you describe quite extensively, but I wouldn't touch one today because modern technology has made bikes easier to ride both further and faster.

And before you go on about simplicity and longevity a lot of the kit from back then was very crudely engineered by modern standards and no where near as reliable as the rose tinted glasses would have you believe.
Definitely. I really love vintage steel bikes, and I have two of them. However, I can ride further, faster and more comfortably on my alloy, disc braked, modern geometry, aheadset fitted commuter bike than either of the other two. And it's not even a particularly expensive or aerodynamic bike.

Drago

Legendary Member
Although alloy bikes date from the late 1800s, so its difficult to argue they're the latest thing or any more up to date than steel. They're well established, mature, historic technology in their own right - a different branch of bike development, not a modern trendy fad.

Top Bottom