So many new road bikes, still non-disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A curiosity question, you say you have done thousands of miles on them and obviously don't rate them from your response.
I am interested as I have a set of wheels that are compatible but still run inner tubes as I find them easy enough to deal with should I have the misfortune to puncture. Now Continental have joined in they are making claims about their new tyres.
I can understand the possible mess with the sealant and keeping it fresh so it doesn't dry out but would just be interested in your views on the subject...........
Cheers
On long distance endurance rides, I really can’t see the logic in using tubeless, over standard set up, unless you ride supported. The key advantage to tubeless, is ability to run ( relatively) low pressures, to increase comfort, without risking pinchies. For the layman, that’s not advantageous enough to justify it. It’s each to their own, and what works for Arthur, doesn’t necessarily work for Martha, but I seriously fail to see the advantage of disc braked roadies, with tubeless, over a conventional set up.

boydj

Legendary Member
On long distance endurance rides, I really can’t see the logic in using tubeless, over standard set up, unless you ride supported. The key advantage to tubeless, is ability to run ( relatively) low pressures, to increase comfort, without risking pinchies. For the layman, that’s not advantageous enough to justify it. It’s each to their own, and what works for Arthur, doesn’t necessarily work for Martha, but I seriously fail to see the advantage of disc braked roadies, with tubeless, over a conventional set up.

Tubeless will also seal small punctures, so I'd expect fewer punctures with a tubeless setup. If you are stuck you can always stick a tube in. I'm a recent convert to road tubeless - having worn out the rims on my old wheels - and I've been impressed with the improvement in ride quality. If I was in the market for a new bike, I'd definitely be going for disc brakes, and tubeless if possible.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I like discs apart from not being able to tell when the pads are worn without removing them.

Perhaps it's my declining eyesight, but I was caught out when the fronts wore out on a hilly ride in Yorkshire.

Descending 'on the rivets' made a fearful scraping noise, but at least no long term harm was caused to the rotor.

Probably did a good job of degreasing it.

si_c

Guru
I like discs apart from not being able to tell when the pads are worn without removing them.

Perhaps it's my declining eyesight, but I was caught out when the fronts wore out on a hilly ride in Yorkshire.

Descending 'on the rivets' made a fearful scraping noise, but at least no long term harm was caused to the rotor.

Should be able to see how much is left by taking a proper look at them through the caliper. If it's getting close I just replace them anyway - and if the fronts wear out on a ride, I'd stop and swap them with the rears.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Swapping with the rears is a thought, although when I got to fettle the brakes properly I found both ends well worn.

It's an ebike so I probably use a bit more rear than I would on a pushbike.

Were I doing long distance regularly, I would carry a set of pads.

Ive just switched to hydro discs on my newest bike. in terms of braking power I am struggling to see a difference from my older ultegra rim brakes.

And then with discs you get the joy of through axles ...in terms in fiddly ness these seem a backward step over QR levers..

just a question should the front and rear brake caliper offer the same level of resistance when braking ...because at the moment one has more 'play' than the other.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ive just switched to hydro discs on my newest bike. in terms of braking power I am struggling to see a difference from my older ultegra rim brakes.

And then with discs you get the joy of through axles ...in terms in fiddly ness these seem a backward step over QR levers..

just a question should the front and rear brake caliper offer the same level of resistance when braking ...because at the moment one has more 'play' than the other.

They should be the same, although the longer hose to the rear can mean that one feels a bit spongier.

adamangler

Veteran
Ive just bought a disc brake bike, my other bike has sram force rim brakes.

Tbh, i havent felt any difference in performance they both stop perfectly well.

I would suggest that unless you are encountering really wet and muddy terrain they are not needed at all...

I think i made my choice on looks and just because i wanted them...i quite like the look of them and hence why i bought a bike with them on

so if you dont care which you have id stick to rim brakes, cheaper, lighter and more wheel options

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

What I have found with the BB7's is that when worn the retaining spring starts scraping the caliper. It's a noise I have come to recognise and of which tells me the pads need changing.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
What I have found with the BB7's is that when worn the retaining spring starts scraping the caliper. It's a noise I have come to recognise and of which tells me the pads need changing.

The first scraping from my Shimano pads might have been the retaining spring, which would explain why I didn't score grooves in the rotor.

The pads wore out at about 3,500 miles, a bit less than I expected.

Current plan is to change them at 7,000 miles irrespective of wear.

That will be about a year or so of use, which is acceptable.

adamangler

Veteran
Is this actually a real problem for anyone who's not in a race?

I only remove my wheels when the bike is on the stand at home (and I have a load of tools to hand and plenty of time anyway) or on the very rare occurrences I get a puncture on the road, in which case wheel removal/replacement is a tiny percentage of the total time needed to fix the problem. The amount of time that QRs have saved me over the years must add up to ... oooh ... a couple of minutes.

i think the same goes for most things in cycling whether its having discs or rims, 25 or 28mm tyres, 10 or 11 speed.....the list goes on forever. Unless you are in a race where every watt or second counts then the vast majority of it is just excuses to spend our money.

We all can argue a case that suits us when in reality the differences are that small they`re negligible to 99% of us.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
i think the same goes for most things in cycling whether its having discs or rims, 25 or 28mm tyres, 10 or 11 speed.....the list goes on forever. Unless you are in a race where every watt or second counts then the vast majority of it is just excuses to spend our money.

We all can argue a case that suits us when in reality the differences are that small they`re negligible to 99% of us.

Suntour's threadless Qloc2 through axle came with my bike.

It's probably marginally quicker than a quick release, and the wheel lines up in the fork easier.

Cons are complication, I think someone said there's 16 or more components to make the axle.

Also you are stuck with Suntour forks, although mine have magnesium legs and are fully serviceable.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8IqJD34Ky0

172traindriver

Legendary Member

Lets be fair, we all fall for the marketing blurb and if you can afford the latest thing, well why not. If you have worked and earned the money and can afford it, go ahead and buy your new toy whatever it is, bike, computer, tv, car etc. We are all only here for a short time and enjoy your life, cos we all know we cant take it with us :okay:

Slick

Guru
Lets be fair, we all fall for the marketing blurb and if you can afford the latest thing, well why not. If you have worked and earned the money and can afford it, go ahead and buy your new toy whatever it is, bike, computer, tv, car etc. We are all only here for a short time and enjoy your life, cos we all know we cant take it with us :okay:
:notworthy:

Top Bottom