So many new road bikes, still non-disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Lets be fair, we all fall for the marketing blurb and if you can afford the latest thing, well why not. If you have worked and earned the money and can afford it, go ahead and buy your new toy whatever it is, bike, computer, tv, car etc. We are all only here for a short time and enjoy your life, cos we all know we cant take it with us :okay:

Here here, albeit tempered with the thought that rampant and unnecessary consumerism damages the planet.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Ive just switched to hydro discs on my newest bike. in terms of braking power I am struggling to see a difference from my older ultegra rim brakes.

And then with discs you get the joy of through axles ...in terms in fiddly ness these seem a backward step over QR levers..

just a question should the front and rear brake caliper offer the same level of resistance when braking ...because at the moment one has more 'play' than the other.

You'll notice the difference in the wet.
Thru axles are great with disc brakes as the wheel lines up perfectly every time so no disc rub.
The difference in feel on the levers is probably a difference in how well they've been bled and primed

screenman

Legendary Member
Lets be fair, we all fall for the marketing blurb and if you can afford the latest thing, well why not. If you have worked and earned the money and can afford it, go ahead and buy your new toy whatever it is, bike, computer, tv, car etc. We are all only here for a short time and enjoy your life, cos we all know we cant take it with us :okay:

Not sure about falling for the blurb, I see advertising as a way of informing people what you make or have for sale. People ask me what I do for a living, well I fix dents, straight away without advertsing the fact they think I use filler and paint, I do not, my adverts told people how I fixed them.

Like wise the tools I sell, without adverts who would even know they exist or where to buy them.

I do fully agree with your last sentence.

I think a lot of green eyed monster goes on often in this forum and many others.

Is this actually a real problem for anyone who's not in a race?

I only remove my wheels when the bike is on the stand at home (and I have a load of tools to hand and plenty of time anyway) or on the very rare occurrences I get a puncture on the road, in which case wheel removal/replacement is a tiny percentage of the total time needed to fix the problem. The amount of time that QRs have saved me over the years must add up to ... oooh ... a couple of minutes.

Well I often stick my bike the back of car - The QR lever stays with the wheel - a through axle is another bit to put somewhere or loose.

I have heard that a lad at the club who got a puncture couldn't get TA in - a couple of other guys helped - Turns out the QR lever had cross threaded in the frame - quite a new bike as well - Shop were very reluctant to repair under warranty - needless to say he isn't a fan of through axles !!!

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Well I often stick my bike the back of car - The QR lever stays with the wheel - a through axle is another bit to put somewhere or loose.

I have heard that a lad at the club who got a puncture couldn't get TA in - a couple of other guys helped - Turns out the QR lever had cross threaded in the frame - quite a new bike as well - Shop were very reluctant to repair under warranty - needless to say he isn't a fan of through axles !!!

How on earth do you cross thread a through axle, no wonder the shops were reluctant.

Rusty Nails

We remember
I have a bike with a through axle and bikes with standard QRs. TBH I don't notice any more problems with refitting wheels of either type, especially disc brake wheels. I cannot get excited by possibly saving 4 or 5 seconds changing a wheel, and if anything I find changing the old QR axles easier.

If I ever get a cyclocross bike, and actually plan to use it off-road, then it probably will be disc brakes. But in general it's fair to say I'm underwhelmed by the idea of them on road bikes.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'm in the process of speccing a new road frame. It'll have rim brakes.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Lets be fair, we all fall for the marketing blurb

No we don't. It might work on you, but marketing BS doesn't work on me I can assure you. If anyone out there is relying on selling me a plethora of pointless gimmicky rubbish I don't need in order to feed their kids, I'm afraid their kids will stay hungry and my money will be staying in my pocket.. As far as I'm concerned lugged 531 with a 6-speed on the back, quill stem, rim brakes, square taper cranks, 36 spoke alloys and decent puncture resistant tyres is all the modernity I need or want to enjoy a ride.
Don't want 11/12 speed cassettes, don't want electronic shifting, don't want e-bikes, don't want clipless, don't want lycra, don't want carbon, don't want discs, don't want power meters, don't want 29-ers, don't want suspension, don't want fat tyres, don't want headsets that require spacers for adjustment, don't want anything designed in a wind tunnel, don't want crappy press-fit BBs, don't want through axles, don't even really want QR hubs.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
No we don't. It might work on you, but marketing BS doesn't work on me I can assure you. If anyone out there is relying on selling me a plethora of pointless gimmicky rubbish I don't need in order to feed their kids, I'm afraid their kids will stay hungry and my money will be staying in my pocket.. As far as I'm concerned lugged 531 with a 6-speed on the back, quill stem, rim brakes, square taper cranks, 36 spoke alloys and decent puncture resistant tyres is all the modernity I need or want to enjoy a ride.
Don't want 11/12 speed cassettes, don't want electronic shifting, don't want e-bikes, don't want clipless, don't want lycra, don't want carbon, don't want discs, don't want power meters, don't want 29-ers, don't want suspension, don't want fat tyres, don't want headsets that require spacers for adjustment, don't want anything designed in a wind tunnel, don't want crappy press-fit BBs, don't want through axles, don't even really want QR hubs.

You have your very own BS to sell and it's not getting any market traction.
And worst of all it's not product marketing it's that most useless of things ' a life style' you insist in to crow barring into every thread you can .

Top Bottom