So many new road bikes, still non-disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You misunderstand. You do not need to even remove the wheel on rare occasions you might get a tubeless puncture that won't seal. It is a long way from a nightmare. Worst case scenario you end up doing what you do with tubed tyres.
Obviously you lack experience. It’s never easy, often a ride ruiner.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The discs were visibly discoloured from overheating.

I'd like to know how.

There's not a descent long or steep enough to 'blue' a disc.

Had the wheel been bolted to a Honda Fireblade?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'd like to know how.

There's not a descent long or steep enough to 'blue' a disc.

Had the wheel been bolted to a Honda Fireblade?

I did a 30 mile descent at fairly descent speeds (Pico de Veleta in Spain), It was the longest descent on a week of mountain road riding. It didn't effect the rotor's at all.

More then ham fisted. I'm not a great descender so was on the brakes constantly. The bike was also laden down with rack and panniers bags. Also on my commute I like to grab fistfulls of brake. I have never managed to blue a rotor yet. The rotors have done over 35,000 miles and still no where near worn or blue,
That surprises me.

Steve Abraham rode his year attempts on a disc braked bike with tubeless tyres. For endurance riding on UK roads no one knows even a tenth as much as Steve.

Bear in mind he had no on road support and had to fix all of his own problems on the road.
He probably ( definitely ) didn’t draw attention to the issues he suffered.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I’ve tried tubeless, over many thousands of miles, they suck.

A curiosity question, you say you have done thousands of miles on them and obviously don't rate them from your response.
I am interested as I have a set of wheels that are compatible but still run inner tubes as I find them easy enough to deal with should I have the misfortune to puncture. Now Continental have joined in they are making claims about their new tyres.
I can understand the possible mess with the sealant and keeping it fresh so it doesn't dry out but would just be interested in your views on the subject...........
Cheers

A curiosity question, you say you have done thousands of miles on them and obviously don't rate them from your response.
I am interested as I have a set of wheels that are compatible but still run inner tubes as I find them easy enough to deal with should I have the misfortune to puncture. Now Continental have joined in they are making claims about their new tyres.
I can understand the possible mess with the sealant and keeping it fresh so it doesn't dry out but would just be interested in your views on the subject...........
Cheers
If you have ‘support’ they are probably no problem. If you have ‘support’youd be running tubulars. From my point of view, tubeless are a godsend on low pressure MTB type tyres, but not on road tyres. There really is no advantage to using tubeless on a relatively high pressure road set up that outweighs the negatives, based on experience.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
If you have ‘support’ they are probably no problem. If you have ‘support’youd be running tubulars. From my point of view, tubeless are a godsend on low pressure MTB type tyres, but not on road tyres. There really is no advantage to using tubeless on a relatively high pressure road set up that outweighs the negatives, based on experience.

Thanks for your views, as I say just a thought with what I have got.
Nice to hear others views, from both sides.

Top Bottom