So many new road bikes, still non-disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't know if it was a mistake but my new frame is rim brake as I wanted to use my old components including my newish Hunt wheels and I've been happy with the simplicity/ maintenance and been happy with the stopping power. I have worn out rims in the past but not at an alarming rate that made me want to change. I hope the rim brake hangs around.

Fix the hole in the tyre and carry on that rare occurance. No biggie.
What with? I didn’t have a worm with me, if it had been a tubeless tyre, I’d have had to take it off to patch it, which would have lost the sealant, then I’d have had to run it with a tube, which would have been a messy job either way.

screenman

Legendary Member
What with? I didn’t have a worm with me, if it had been a tubeless tyre, I’d have had to take it off to patch it, which would have lost the sealant, then I’d have had to run it with a tube, which would have been a messy job either way.

Surely if the holes had been too large to seal then there would be no sealant left in.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I don't know if it was a mistake but my new frame is rim brake as I wanted to use my old components including my newish Hunt wheels and I've been happy with the simplicity/ maintenance and been happy with the stopping power. I have worn out rims in the past but not at an alarming rate that made me want to change. I hope the rim brake hangs around.
Rim brakes will hag round, but in the same way that DT shifters have, on low end bikes or old classics.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Rim brakes will hag round, but in the same way that DT shifters have, on low end bikes or old classics.

The sort of bike buyer found on here is not typical of the cycling public. Most punters just want something affordable and functional to get around on. For them, budget 700c hybrids equipped with relatively cheap alloy wheels, basic rim brakes, and a quill stem are not seen in any way as negative features. They do the job and they don't break the bank, and there are probably ten or more such cheap leisure/utility bikes purchased for every fancy road bike that might appeal to a "serious" cyclist.. Discs are certainly becoming more common a sight, but they are not going to displace rim brakes amongst those customers who see no benefit to them and are not prepared to pay a price premium for discs. You only have to look at how 6-speed freewheels are still commonly fitted to lower-budget bikes to see that not every cyclist wants or is willing to pay for extra gear ratios or any other supposed "upgrade".

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The sort of bike buyer found on here is not typical of the cycling public. Most punters just want something affordable and functional to get around on. For them, budget 700c hybrids equipped with relatively cheap alloy wheels, basic rim brakes, and a quill stem are not seen in any way as negative features. They do the job and they don't break the bank, and there are probably ten or more such cheap leisure/utility bikes purchased for every fancy road bike that might appeal to a "serious" cyclist.. Discs are certainly becoming more common a sight, but they are not going to displace rim brakes amongst those customers who see no benefit to them and are not prepared to pay a price premium for discs. You only have to look at how 6-speed freewheels are still commonly fitted to lower-budget bikes to see that not every cyclist wants or is willing to pay for extra gear ratios or any other supposed "upgrade".
Nip into your local motor accessory shop and see how many budget mountain bikes are fitted with disc brakes. Discs are not a new invention, they are universal fitments on cars and motorcycles and are accepted as the norm. Among casual cyclists who just want basic transport there will be no opposition to disc brakes, they will instead be seen as a plus - indeed they already are.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I scrapped an abandoned disc braked BSO MTB a couple of months ago for parts. It wasn't even very old and it was a mechanical wreck with totally non-functional brakes. The discs were visibly discoloured from overheating. There's no way even cheap rim brakes would have deteriorated into that state in such a short time. They clearly won't tolerate the sort of neglect and abuse that is dished out by casual cyclists as a matter of course.

si_c

Guru
Nip into your local motor accessory shop and see how many budget mountain bikes are fitted with disc brakes. Discs are not a new invention, they are universal fitments on cars and motorcycles and are accepted as the norm. Among casual cyclists who just want basic transport there will be no opposition to disc brakes, they will instead be seen as a plus - indeed they already are.
Very much this, indeed as Discs become more associated with high end bikes, it will be seen as necessary to have them on the cheapest bikes. Only they won't work very well, rather like the brakes they currently fit.

Never had a puncture that stopped the ride on tubeless, never swapped wheels between bikes and never needed to borrow a wheel, I must live a sheltered life.
Add the word ‘yet’.

si_c

Guru
I scrapped an abandoned disc braked BSO MTB a couple of months ago for parts. It wasn't even very old and it was a mechanical wreck with totally non-functional brakes. The discs were visibly discoloured from overheating. There's no way even cheap rim brakes would have deteriorated into that state in such a short time. They clearly won't tolerate the sort of neglect and abuse that is dished out by casual cyclists as a matter of course.
Of course rim brakes would, cheap stamped steel bends and breaks no matter where it is placed. My experience of using cheap BSOs has been that the brakes universally don't work out of the box. Even a lot of fettling fails to get them to work.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

No, if it had been tubeless you would have been carrying the proper kit to repair on the road. No reason you would be carrying it if non tubeless as you were. What would you have done if the tube had not held well enough since you did not have levers or patches?

Another good point. The sorts of rider who want discs on their road bike, tend to be exactly the sorts of rider who will right royally knacker them in short order.

No, if it had been tubeless you would have been carrying the proper kit to repair on the road. No reason you would be carrying it if non tubeless as you were. What would you have done if the tube had not held well enough since you did not have levers or patches?
I’m not talking theoretically here, I speak from experience. A discer road bike with thru axles and tubeless tyres is a nightmare waiting to happen. I had levers and a spare tube, but with another 45 miles to do when the tyre got holed, I’d rather not have had to use them, good job too as it transpired, because the ( non slime ) replacement tube, would have died on the consequent punctures, and then I’d have had to walk the bike to a train station.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
You misunderstand. You do not need to even remove the wheel on rare occasions you might get a tubeless puncture that won't seal. It is a long way from a nightmare. Worst case scenario you end up doing what you do with tubed tyres.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

There not going anytime soon.

Top Bottom