So many new road bikes, still non-disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Rim brakes wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, not enough to get a sweat over.

I'm 117kg and properly set up rims brakes on my Felt are brilliant. Given the choice I'd go disc, but if the bike floated my boat in every other department then lack of them wouldn't dissuade me. I suspect the market is largely saying the same at the moment and manufacturers are making that which they think they will sell, but it'll change with time and in 10 years I'm sure it'll be very different.

screenman

Legendary Member
Out of interest, does anyone on here buy kit because the professional riders use it.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I was forced into replacing a frame this year and went disc. No looking back, like others I got tired of replacing worn out rims every year and a bit, i got tired of poor braking in bad weather. Brucey bonus I can run mtn bike disc 26" wheels for a bit of off road.
How many miles do you do a year to wear out a rim?

Heigue'r

Veteran
How many miles do you do a year to wear out a rim?

I know this question isn't directed towards me but I had a c17 zonda rear rim blow off after 3 months,just under 3000 miles.This was used for commuting through London and out into Essex,lots of stop start and crap weather plus 95kgs weight didn't help.

MikeG

Guru
Every week I see another road bike launch, sometimes they are a long running design and other times they are all new - but they still keep coming with non-disc.........

Incredible, really. I mean with one you pull the lever and the bike stops, and other, by way of contrast, when you pull the lever the bike stops.

Slick

Guru
Probably like most I have both discs and rim and on the whole I think I prefer discs but there is nothing more disappointing than the squeal of a disc on a wet morning commute. (Fingers crossed but I think I'm squeal free for the moment) I do have a rim braked machine that I pulled out of storage last week that theoretically is just too small for me but for some reason feels very comfortable and also feels like I do some of my best times on it. I really enjoy being on that bike but it's every bit as disappointing every time I pull the rim brake on and you hear the crud you have picked up rubbing against the rim. My clip on mudguards won't fit on either because of the caliper. My personal findings of both systems is the discs do work better in winter but I certainly wouldn't be put off buying another rim braked machine as long as it was every bit as good as the one I already have.

Top Bottom