So many new road bikes, still non-disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My only regret with my last purchase was thru axle on the front, but only QR on the rear, other than that it is perfect. Aluminium frame, hydraulic discs, good clearances, proper mudguard and rack mounts and best of all 68mm threaded BB.

Yesssss.

The only road bike I’d consider with disc brakes is the Giant Propel 0 I was looking at, it’s got Carbon rims, and doesn’t come with the option of rim brakes, so I’d have no choice but to go disc braked / Thru Axled.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Not if you have to sort a puncture, when it’s cold and wet and dark they’re not.

Yes they are, as thru axles are held in place by the thread the lever is simply flipped over with no real force so your cold wet fingers don't have to struggle to pull open a tight qr lever that can be difficult in good conditions sometimes. Turning a screwing action with those numb hands is much easier and painless.

Kajjal

Guru
Being 100KG and riding in all weathers hydraulic disc brakes work much better than rim brakes for me especially in the wet on my road bike. Rim brakes do not offer the same power, consistency and control over braking for me. Thru axels are very easy to use, mean the wheel goes back in place precisely and make the steering more responsive.

The main downside to disc brakes is contamination by oil or similar. You have to be careful to wipe off excess oil as you can from your chain to avoid this. If your disc brakes are performing poorly and squealing this is likely the cause.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Not if you have to sort a puncture, when it’s cold and wet and dark they’re not.

Changing the subject slightly but another one which can split opinions is what about using tubeless tyres.
We now have the combination of discs and tubeless in the mix. Both developing and will develop more in the future.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I was forced into replacing a frame this year and went disc. No looking back, like others I got tired of replacing worn out rims every year and a bit, i got tired of poor braking in bad weather. Brucey bonus I can run mtn bike disc 26" wheels for a bit of off road.

PapaZita

Guru
I don't have strong opinons on disc vs rim brakes for road bikes, but I do hope rim brakes stay around. I have a couple of rim brake bikes that I plan on keeping for a long time, and they're going to need new rims every now and then. I was surprised recently, when trying to find decent rim brake 26" MTB rims, just how little choice there is now.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've used discs on several bikes and didn't like them. When they work, they're good, but I had no end of problems. The Shimano mineral oil ones are least trouble; anything with DOT5.1 is a pain, as is anything without a super-easy centreing method.

Yes they are, as thru axles are held in place by the thread the lever is simply flipped over with no real force so your cold wet fingers don't have to struggle to pull open a tight qr lever that can be difficult in good conditions sometimes. Turning a screwing action with those numb hands is much easier and painless.

I agree. In addition, you adjust them once and then just closing the lever repeats the setting. QRs on the other hand, each time you remove the wheel on a lawyers lip fork, you have to re-adjust the QR. You also have to align the wheel properly or else the brakes rub on one side. With dual-pivot calipers this is a problem, because they don't track the wheel, they remain rigid in one position.

TAs solve many problems and introduce none that I can think of. Perhaps the issue that it is a frame part and not a generic off-the-shelf interchangeable product, may be an issue. I don't know.

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Perhaps the issue that it is a frame part and not a generic off-the-shelf interchangeable product, may be an issue. I don't know.

As I understand it the only issue here is that there is no standard thread, I'm not sure about axle length but I think they may be standard. once an industry standard is reached for the thread then the axle can become an 'off the shelf part'.

mgs315

I’ve an Alu bike with rims and QRs and a Carbon with discs and thru-axles.

I very much prefer the disc bike. Only thing I’ve done is swap tubeless for clinchers as it’s less aggro.

Top Bottom