So many punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
A few years ago I had a puncture and couldn't suss the cause. Did the usual; checked the outer tyre, ran my fingers around the inside several times with no obvious cause for the flat. After a very careful further examination, it turned out to be a piece of wire exactly the same length as the thickness of the tyre carcass. Took a bit of getting out - ! :laugh:

Been running 32c Gatorskins for over two years now. Zero punctures. Used to get one now and again running Mavic Yksions (worst) and Duranos (better), anyone else noticed this?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
After not being troubled much for years, I started getting them practically weekly on my commuting bike . Eventually, despite diligent checking after each ouncture, I realised there was a nick in the inside of the tyre leading to a lumpy bit. It was wasn't a thorn shard of glass but tyre damage, which though small (2mm maybe) was causing a lump, which in turn, appeared to be causing punctures. Bought a new tyre and problem solved. The original tyre's partner is still on the bike so there was nowt wrong with the brand of tyre and it had plenty of wear left in it otherwise. My bet is you've a similar subtle problem with your tyre.

Of course, you do need to make sure tyres are properly inflated (snake bite punctures are indicative of under inflation) and that there isn't a patch of thorns / hedge clippings / glass
shards you're repeatedly crossing on a regular route

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bought some BTwin adhesive protection liner. Its like a fluffy material with a plastic inner. Couldn't poke some scissors through it. We'll see as I picked up two thorns on the way home. It's a 4 mile stretch of canal that's been trimmed.

Never had so many deflations.

ricknmorty28

Hi just wondered how often people get punctures, I seem to be forever getting them and seem to have to rotate which bike I use due to punctures.

I went to get my trek out shed yesterday only to find it had a puncture while my specialized was in bike shop having back wheel fixed..

luckily bike shop phoned me and said my specialized was ready in the afternoon went straight out on it only to find out this morning that had now punctured.. so now have 2 bikes with punctures….
This seems to happening a lot even the bike shop said he had checked tyre pressure..

Soooo annoying

That's strange, this shouldn't be happening so often. I would double check there's no tiny bits of glass or metal where you store your bike and even ride it. It you're riding it in the same place all the time there may be a path with broken glass on?? Have you been fixing the punctures correctly because that could be the issue also? There's a good article on it here> how-to-fix-a-bike-puncture Hope this helps:smile:)

Top Bottom