So wrong but I can't help myself....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm struggling to reconcile the Chuffy who owns Half Man Half Biscuit albums with the Chuffy who idolises Hawkwind.:blush:

My guilty secret? Er, the first Macy Gray album.:biggrin:

there's almost always another point of view. Abba were despised until Priscilla rescued them. The Monkees were similarly dismissed. Neil Diamond was ridiculous, now he's ridiculously fashionable. I've long had a soft spot for Union Gap.

These groups get a second wind because some bright spark detects a sort of camp charm. I'm using camp in the sense of being wilfully and playfully anachronistic. The problem with Hawkwind is that there is nothing about them to suggest playfulness, charm or, indeed, the slightest degree of intelligence. They were a bunch of no-hopers in posession of a machine that went whshshshshshsh. You might make a case for their being proto-disco, and you might possibly suggest that they are owed a debt by the Pet Shop Boys. You might recall that they played nude. You might, but I wouldn't bother. Revivals, or re-evaluations have to be based on something, rather than nothing.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
TheDoctor said:
My guilty delight is...
Emerson Lake and Palmer.
Yes, so pompous and self important they almost vanish up their own ar5e, but thoroughly enjoyable none the less.

I still think Trilogy is one of the great albums without a hint of pomposity etc. Brain Salad Surgery was showing off but they did have a lot of ability to show off and anyway that version of Jerusalem would excuse a thousand sins.

Sam Nichols,

Phil Collins: that's just masochism and I therefore have no sympathy for you. Listening to his voice for a whole album is like being forced to eat 5 lbs of boiled potatoes at one sitting.

I suppose my secret guilt is the best of Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
*quietly admits to owning 'Bridge of Spies' CD*

And I loved the video to 'Sex Talk' (also T'Pau). Carol Decker in lingerie... :blush:

*goes to stand in cold place for a few minutes*

Cab

I have, I believe, pretty nearly everything T'Pau ever recorded. Good band.

Although my guiltiest pleasure would probably be Marillion. Big fan of theirs.

Chuffy said:
I used to fancy Carol Decker. :blush:

<slaps down the Best Of Boney M>
Beat that!

<plays trump card and last chance to grab the pot>

Best of Val Doonican with Delaneys' Donkey on it (It's not strictly mine but as it's been in the family for years, I claim it)

Carwash

Señor Member
Chuffy said:
Does anyone else have a band or artist that they know is wrong but nevertheless splendid?

Ooh yes. Not a band or artist, but plenty of individual tracks that I really like but know I shouldn't. Here are some:

Chesney Hawkes - The One and Only
Toto - Africa
Bon Jovi - Livin' on a Prayer
The Grid - Swamp Thing
Linda Bentzing - Jag Ljuger Så Bra
Basshunter - Boten Anna
Wings - Live and Let Die
Europe - The Final Countdown

<shame>

Top Bottom