So....your Titanium ultimate Bike....... ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Traditional or modern? Can’t decide myself. Spa Cycles Elan.
99658163-8DE8-4CD7-A845-C17E680C9636.jpeg

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Closer look at the welds. Not shabby, but @vickster isnt the first person to be surprised by the price of the Elan. I don’t know how Spa manage such a good value deal.

EF475716-9BBE-438A-AD83-A0688E49087E.jpeg

vickster

Legendary Member
Closer look at the welds. Not shabby, but @vickster isnt the first person to be surprised by the price of the Elan. I don’t know how Spa manage such a good value deal.

View attachment 406971
The ones I saw in the shop had poor welds around the headtube and elsewhere. Compared to more costly frames they are much sloppier I think

The Sabbaths are better finished imo if looking at SPa

Attachments

• 6AB530CE-668C-4076-9D26-DB020211731D.jpeg
    6AB530CE-668C-4076-9D26-DB020211731D.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 111
  • DB31725B-A589-4043-85C6-D8EBB342C6F5.jpeg
    DB31725B-A589-4043-85C6-D8EBB342C6F5.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 106
  • D21BB643-1710-41E5-8248-04EE92725518.jpeg
    D21BB643-1710-41E5-8248-04EE92725518.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe they’ve improved the workmanship but there were a couple the same (9 months ago?)

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve personally never had a bike with internal cabling and as it’s never bothered me it might be a nice to have (not like I do any maintenance myself) but certainly not a dealbreaker

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Not too sure about the 'relaxed' fit, but the Van Nicholas Skeiron has the disks, internal cabling and polished finish you're after. It can also be specced with almost any level of gearing from 105 up to Dura Ace Di2, SRAM or Campagnolo if you look at the Van Nicholas website & bike builder (though you will pay through the nose for some options).

Don't forget that most frames are hand built, not machine welded so you won't always get the ultra smooth look as you would with glued plastic frames. When sitting on my Van Nicholases or the Spa Elan, the look of the welding doesn't matter as all I can see is the top tube, stem & bars.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Where was the warning ?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQH1nVOonISOflX5lTK0i4B2ZA2QGsS3VBS-WTVrEgWqqzA6bjg.png

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
As someone who's developing an Ti itch, that I cant seem to find a cream for, I'm left pondering what might help fulfil a Ti dream......

So far, I'm liking the look of the J.Laverack R.Jack......but the Kinesis GF Ti looks good too.

Must have's are, Discs, Internal Cabling, a more Polished Ti finish, & a reasonably 'relaxed' Endurance geometry, ( I arent a racing snake).

Of course, DuraAce or something equally exotic would be fitting, but Ultegra is fairly bulletproof and flawless
Carbon Aero Bars would look fab, bit arent gonna make ME go any faster !
Carbon Aero Wheels " " " " .................................

IF I take the plunge, at some point, this will be a dry weather only beast, sort of like taking the Aston out on a Sunday morning kind of treat, or thats what I'm thinking, although perhaps the famed Ti ride quality will render my Roubaix superfluous .......

Where's your thoughts ? :smile:
I'd go for gravel/adventure frames. Keep your options open. And you have many good bikes in that broad church. You might think you don't want/need wider tyres, mudguards, rack mounts…but if and when you think 'I'd like a bike like that one, only with…' you'll have it. And as for dry weather only....give over. Buy the right bike and you'll be riding it in all weathers.
Apart from Litespeed (which I am obliged to mention in absolutely every Ti bike thread, as I love mine), Lynskey, Moots (£££££), Mosaic (ditto), the aforementioned Mason Bokeh Ti, Enigma Escape, Tripster ATR, Reilly…
Internal cabling: might look prettier to some, but unless you're going electronic then your mechanic will prefer external.

I love titanium bikes! I will really like buy one future (but I need back to train first!!!)
I very like Litespeed, as more light respect many titanium bikes too!
If you like look at UK brand look at Burls bike too, he make custom frames, so he can adapt as you want.

fossala

Guru
I love titanium bikes! I will really like buy one future (but I need back to train first!!!)
I very like Litespeed, as more light respect many titanium bikes too!
If you like look at UK brand look at Burls bike too, he make custom frames, so he can adapt as you want.
Burls only makes his steel bikes, the titanium ones are made in Russia.

Top Bottom