So....your Titanium ultimate Bike....... ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jiberjaber

Veteran
Not on the road / gravel / hard pack but for the proper off road stuff I took them off. They are the new IRC prototype tyres which will be called Boken when released, 700x36c.

I tried a friends 650b wheels with 40C and the fitted no problem with a lot clearance for mud guards as well

Worked fine through this without the guards, suspect I might have been clearing out the front guard if I had left them on. The new fork is in a slightly different position for the stay and I have bought new stays so will be able to give a bit more clearance (another 10mm!)

tgUakIFW_o.jpg

ETA: The tyre has quite a wide shoulder so looks tighter than it is on the rear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zak3737

Über Member
Thx for the J.ack suggestion, you could be right. That looks an interesting Ring on your Ultegra C/set, what is it ?

Siclo

Veteran
That's the super compact 46/30 from Absolute black.

What chain and speed are you running on that please @jiberjaber ? Ingleby incline convinced me I need something lower for the ruff stuff but I notice Absolute Black recommend Dura-Ace or Eagle and I prefer KMC.

How do you find the oval compared to a round?

jiberjaber

Veteran
I'm running 11 speed (11-34 on the back gives circa 12-39 equivalent on a 50/34) at the moment I have a FSA Team chain on there but managed to snap the quick link as I pulled in to The Lion Inn.

Not sure about if there is a difference between oval and round, it was more the ability to run 46/30 on a hollowtech2 crank :smile:

I went out last night on my CdF with 50/34 11-36 and missed the 'spinnyness' of the 46/30

Siclo

Veteran
Thanks, you were just leaving the Lion into that horrible wind as I arrived.

I've toyed with the idea of a wolf tooth but that'd take me to a max of 36 really or 40 if I exceed the chainwrap capacity but the jumps put me off, this seems much more elegant, albeit expensive. It's my birthday next month ^_^. This is a bit of-topic, but it is for this:

27896820758_618e3291ec_z.jpg

My Sabbath AR1 in gravel mode

I already own my ultimate Ti bike

Custom frame direct from walty bike, 30mm carbon rims, 32mm strada lgg tyres and the piste de resistance

Sram etap hydraulic 1x11............with zipp and fizik finishing kit

Sram etap hydraulic 1x11 - how so? I have eTap on my Mason (with a 46/30 Sugino), interested to hear how you're running it as a 1x.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Sram etap hydraulic 1x11 - how so? I have eTap on my Mason (with a 46/30 Sugino), interested to hear how you're running it as a 1x.
42t narrow wide front chainring
42 rear cassette using a linderettes roadlink........works a dream

Just waiting for my etap hydraulic shifters to arrive though. But was using it with standard etao shifters and trp spyres before that

OP
OP
Z

zak3737

Über Member
As the OP, since posting this, my thoughts may have shifted somewhat....... see my EBike report !!

Now, a Ti E-Bike........oh yess.........lol

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
I've just come back from riding the coast road around Jersey (blog) on my Van Nicholas Yukon , loved the Island, loved the weather, loved the route and still love the bike. It has always ticked all the boxes for me, super smooth, perfect balance of comfort versus performance, it can take my luggage and mudguards; it's my two wheeled friend.

Van Nicholas Yukon Jersey.jpg

Reading the initial post there is a disc version with internal cabling, a brushed Ti finish and a reasonably 'relaxed' endurance geometry that is in the final stages of development that would be a potential consideration. I know Van Nicholas have just received what they hope will be the last prototypes, if they pass their extensive testing then you could be looking at late summer early autumn before the official launch.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Paul - glad your Jersey trip was fun and thanks for your blog.
Please can you point towards a site or resource which explains the difference in 'properties of material' terms which make titanium a superior metal/alloy (to steel and aluminium) for making cycle frames out of?
I can cope (within reason) with a scientific approach (ie articles). This cannot be an original question but I have looked unsuccessfully for insights.
I'll get another bike some day (for randonneuring and lightly loaded touring) and can see the reputational attraction of Ti, but I'd like to understand/examine why Ti is better, in particular from a vibration point of view. Clearly different frame geometries will make a difference but if one took two frames with the same geometry, will the Ti one transmit less road irregularity-induced vibration?
Why don't Ti framed bikes have Ti forks? (I note your fork is carbon.) Is a seatpost made of titanium superior from a 'ride' PoV to one of Al alloy or carbon? Are Ti bars more 'comfortable' (ie less transmitted road irregularity-induced vibration)?
Or is it just cosmetics/aesthetics, lack of corrosion and weight differences?
YS wrote this 3 years ago:
I just don't get the Ti-mania thing though. It started, as far as I can see, back in the 1980s with Gasnost. Remember Gorbachov and Reagan? They agreed to melt down the missiles and then symbolically played a round of golf using drivers supposedly made from recycled missiles. That launched Ti mania. It also heralded the metal's entry into the consumer realm, previously it was a kinda strategic metal consumed (or horded, depending on your conspiracy outlook) by the military and us civilians weren't supposed to have it. The Japanese watch company Citizen made a diving watch from Ti and it was an instant hit. The bicycle industry took a cue from golf and for a while, every high end frame manufacturer had a Ti model. Colnago was so obsessed, it created a frame with a double down-tube made from the precious stuff. It developed a fierce reputation as a military grade, super duper metal and in consumer goods it was always presented naked, never painted. But paint could be Ti-coloured though and suddenly silver paint was passé, it was Titanium. Even Platinum stood back.
Doctors liked it because it didn't rust and bone would fuse into the porous metal. They used it in structural implants and of course, as screw-in bases for false teeth.
Hydroformed aluminium came along and blew Ti out of the water with looks, weight and durability. There was no single good reason for spec'ing a bike with Ti, yet consumers would have none of it. Ti it had to be.
Ti is difficult to weld (reliably) and machine and to the untrained eye, looks like aluminium.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Paul - glad your Jersey trip was fun and thanks for your blog.
Please can you point towards a site or resource which explains the difference in 'properties of material' terms which make titanium a superior metal/alloy (to steel and aluminium) for making cycle frames out of?
I can cope (within reason) with a scientific approach (ie articles). This cannot be an original question but I have looked unsuccessfully for insights.
I'll get another bike some day (for randonneuring and lightly loaded touring) and can see the reputational attraction of Ti, but I'd like to understand/examine why Ti is better, in particular from a vibration point of view. Clearly different frame geometries will make a difference but if one took two frames with the same geometry, will the Ti one transmit less road irregularity-induced vibration?
Why don't Ti framed bikes have Ti forks? (I note your fork is carbon.) Is a seatpost made of titanium superior from a 'ride' PoV to one of Al alloy or carbon? Are Ti bars more 'comfortable' (ie less transmitted road irregularity-induced vibration)?
Or is it just cosmetics/aesthetics, lack of corrosion and weight differences?

There has been a few I've seen that give data referencing the difference between frame materials, Sheldon Brown being one although that is a bit out of date now, most frames have larger diameter tubes for example. The problem with data in relation to the riding experience comes down to perception. For example, I don't play tennis, give me Andy Murray's tennis racket and one half the price and it will probably feel the same. In reality the perception and personal conclusions will vary from one rider to another, 'no difference' to one maybe a 'deal breaking difference' to another.

In my case I went from a Reynolds 531 Dave Yates well built Pearson Audax frame to my Titanium Yukon, most of the equipment transferred across from the steel bike. To me it felt smoother, as if the road had been resurfaced, I'm 54, I've been a club rider for 40 years and in the cycle trade over 30, so you'd expect that I have the experience to notice; which I did. But, the appeal was not only down to the riding experience, I was more than happy with my old steel frames, but they are of an age where I would not like to take them on a tour, when I service the BB rust tumbles out at a rate and quantity that I know sooner or later they will fail. A big part of the appeal was having no paint to damage or tubes to rust, plus I both desired and wanted one!

As you can see I use an alloy seat pin, although I have Ti on my Chinook , the latter was more that I was treating myself to be honest. Titanium is good for frames, less so for forks, the blades would have to be too large in a bid to reduce flex plus the fork crown is quite a hard shape to make in Ti. You will often see a new titanium brand introduce them; but they soon discontinue them.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You can get Ti forks but they’re very expensive
But if Ti as a material offers ride quality advantages, why would people not wish to take advantage of that? (Edit: Paul has explained - thank you) Aren't the frames "very expensive" (or are we talking 'very, very expensive' (shades of 'Pretty Woman' here))?.
OT:
Edward: We are going to be spending an obscene amount of money in here. So we're going to need a lot more help sucking up to us, 'cause that's what we really like.
Hollister: Ohhhh!
Edward: You understand that.
Hollister: Sir, if I may say so, you're in the right store, and the right city, for that matter.
Hollister: Exactly how obscene an amount of money were you talking about? Just… profane, or really offensive?
Edward: Really offensive.

Top Bottom