Social Media - where do our responsibilities end?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The element that I find particularly appalling is that in the immediate aftermath of such an incident, the inclination of so many people when they take out their phones is not to call the emergency services, but to take videos and pictures of the event so that they can post these on social media, assuming that somebody else will be summoning the Police/Ambulance services.

I've had a job where an elderly lady was having a suspected cardiac arrest - convincing enough that passers by had even started CPR on her at one stage before she came round. I don't know what it actually was as we were only called for crowd control and fortunately the lady didn't die.

There were numerous people there filming her lying in her back on the floor while a defib was being attached to her. When I asked them to stop filming and move away, all bar one did, who began arguing (and yes, he was legally right) that he wasn't breaking any law, it was in public, blah blah blah.

Line clearly passed there.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I've had a job where an elderly lady was having a suspected cardiac arrest - convincing enough that passers by had even started CPR on her at one stage before she came round. I don't know what it actually was as we were only called for crowd control and fortunately the lady didn't die.

There were numerous people there filming her lying in her back on the floor while a defib was being attached to her. When I asked them to stop filming and move away, all bar one did, who began arguing (and yes, he was legally right) that he wasn't breaking any law, it was in public, blah blah blah.

Line clearly passed there.

Surely not following the instructions of a Police officer is an offence?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
In the case of the Land Rover driver, he has been given the opportunity to reply but declined. A simple statement of regret would go a long way to calm tensions.

The Richmond & Twickenham Times says that a spokeswoman for Samphire Communications, speaking on behalf of Mr Wells, said she was “not confirming” whether or not it was him in the video, adding “ and “There will be no comment at this time.”
http://road.cc/content/news/153086-...e-road-rage-driver-sw-london-cafe-chain-owner

In this case the cyclist turned out to be as big a dick as the driver.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
It's the Emma Way... people act first and think after.

Best walk away from trouble if you can- it don't mean you're weak if you turn the other cheek, but don't get snapped doing it.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
It's the Emma Way... people act first and think after.
It's pretty rare in other areas of life though.

When walking, people stuck behind slower walkers tend not to shoulder barge them while screaming abuse. This sort of unreasoning ire, and dedication to pointless alacrity is so widespread on our roads that we even give it it's own name ("Road Rage") rather than lumping it in with the unacceptable thuggeries we'd not put up with elsewhere.

The willingness to boast about it afterwards (in Wray's case) probably comes slightly from a feeling of that societal acceptability, and slightly from the echo chamber effect social media can have (as I said in an earlier post, you choose the people, and so the views you see).

Last edited:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
The chef chap has now apologised - fair play to him, and the cyclist has admitted that he is not proud of his actions what he said either.
Apparently the car (wing mirror) did clip the rider.

I think the hard line on the chef should stop now.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Surely not following the instructions of a Police officer is an offence?
*shudder*

yello

Twitface has been around long enough now, I'm surprised at the continued naivety of some folk who think they can just post any old thing and not get a reaction. Of course, there are some folk that live and plan for that very thing! They love to poke stuff with sticks.

I dunno though, maybe that's a good thing. What's that about staying quiet and seeming stupid rather than opening your mouth and removing all doubt?

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
How so Steve? I've only skimmed the reports on this one, but can't recall anything about the rider beyond the usual stuff about having to use a p*ss poor cyclepath rather than the road.
How so Steve? I've only skimmed the reports on this one, but can't recall anything about the rider beyond the usual stuff about having to use a p*ss poor cyclepath rather than the road.

I watched the video John. The only sensible one was the guy trying to calm it all down.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think the stuff that goes on after an incident does go too far, way too far. I think part of the reason is that we as cyclists feel that our side isn't listened to, and that we don't get fair treatment in the courts or respect on the road. Cyclists have now found a way of trying to even it up a little but we have taken it too far.

Where the line should have been I'm not sure, definitely anything to do with his partner/family is way off limits, business I'm not so sure, if I see a vehicle giving a cyclist a close pass I tend to think I won't use that business myself. Certainly if it is done in a company van.

Top Bottom