Social Media - where do our responsibilities end?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Have to admit I felt a lot of the comments and reviews on the companies Facebook were not only unfunny but he could take legal action against a few of them that where just "reviewing" the food etc. when clearly they hadn't been to the establishment. Also strikes me that it has had in this incident and has in the past had quite an impact on the "victim" who is fairly quickly admitting they didn't perform very well and is desperately trying to cling on to their anonymity, despite publishing to the world the perpetrator. And no I do not drive a Land/Range Rover and wear a tight leather jacket, I just think it would have been better dealt with by normal non internet means.

The police have failed to treat it seriously and this man still has an unblemished licence. If popular opinion damages his business cry me a freakin river.

stephec

Legendary Member
Some of these, 'public outcries,' are like an online version of the crowds that gather outside a court whenever a suspected child killer is making an appearance.

All stood there screaming and shouting, and banging on the sides of the van that's carrying the suspect.

I remember seeing one woman being interviewed as to why she did it, as her daughter who was about four years old was stood alongside her.

She pointed to her daughter and replied, "it's so she can learn and understand. "

About what? At her age all she'll understand is that her mum is behaving hysterically and banging on the side of a police van, great example.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
The police have failed to treat it seriously and this man still has an unblemished licence. If popular opinion damages his business cry me a freakin river.

Not paid enough attention to this to get if he's the owner or staff but either way, those bits of collateral damage that he employs/works with who may also suffer through no fault of their own if the business gets a caning.

Are we allowed to have sympathy for them or do they have to prove their cycling credentials to be deemed worthy?

Surely not following the instructions of a Police officer is an offence?

Please donate £100 to Care of Police Survivors immediately :biggrin:

AndyWilliams

Über Member
Brings out the worst in people. It can me, I'm ashamed to say. I try and keep quiet, people wind me up, more so statuses fishing for attention.

But the vigilante style folk, well that's just out of order and worrying. Guys have a go at each other often, big deal IMO as no one was hurt, why folk then get all CSi FBi internet warrior style, searching for
every bit of the persons life, when actually its none of theirs, our business really. Opinions yes, its the internet. Some rather personal stuff gets posted too. Wrong I think.

Andrew_P

This incident happened in March, and he's only just apologised. How long do we wait for normal means to kick in?
Well I assume the police took action before all of this internet mob action took place, and as the victim seems to have kept himself anonymous, to whom could he have apologised too? Even now it strikes me that it was a public apology,

Now you can argue as much as you like about the lack of motoring prosecution that he got and I would agree, but I really do not think anyone can really say that cyclists posting on the Twitter/Facebook/Google reviews are doing anyone any favours, not now or in the future.

Andrew_P

Brings out the worst in people. It can me, I'm ashamed to say. I try and keep quiet, people wind me up, more so statuses fishing for attention.

But the vigilante style folk, well that's just out of order and worrying. Guys have a go at each other often, big deal IMO as no one was hurt, why folk then get all CSi FBi internet warrior style, searching for
every bit of the persons life, when actually its none of theirs, our business really. Opinions yes, its the internet. Some rather personal stuff gets posted too. Wrong I think.
Me too, and probably more than half of the general public. This is the main reason I never want a camera on my bike, it just extends any angst from a situation This one four minute incident has ruled the film makers life for two months and will continue to do so.

Last thing I want is newspapers asking the public do you know this person, whether I am in the right or wrong. Believe me I have been in wrong a few times and reacted badly to a benign incident.

AndyRM

XOXO
But the vigilante style folk, well that's just out of order and worrying. Guys have a go at each other often, big deal IMO as no one was hurt, why folk then get all CSi FBi internet warrior style, searching for every bit of the persons life, when actually its none of theirs, our business really. Opinions yes, its the internet. Some rather personal stuff gets posted too. Wrong I think.

I used to be a member on an unmoderated forum, and everything was fine until social media took off, then folk started linking people to usernames and some seriously bad stuff happened. Relationships and careers were ruined in some cases.

I'm not proud to admit I mostly gawped from the sidelines. Proper car wreck stuff, though in the end friends I'd made ended up being affected and I'd like to think that helping them out mitigated my lack of action initially. Not much, but a little.

Top Bottom