Social Media - where do our responsibilities end?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The death of responsibilities started with the lack of accountability introduced with social media.

'Flame wars' existed on Usenet - remember that arcane series of newsgroups. At first they coped without intervention or moderation and gradually degraded into a morass of shite unless they were moderated forums. Polite conventions and civilised exchanges of views and information were pushed to one side.

I think that the Society Politics and Culture and, to a lesser degree, the Commuting forums here are modelled on the degraded version of Usenet.

Compare the unmoderated uk.rec.cycling newsgroup with the moderated uk.rec.cycling.moderated

I'm going to have a poke around them to see if there's anyone still there from when i last used them ten or so years ago.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I watched the video John. The only sensible one was the guy trying to calm it all down.
I'll take your word for it. After a f*cking awful commute filled with close passes from impatient nobbers tonight, I'm not in the mood for feeling any more fed up.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I'm very uncomfortable about the growth of public shaming. It doesn't just happen to people who behave badly either. Sometimes you'll see a strange-looking person on TV watching a football match, and within minutes their photo is flying round Twitter with people taking the mickey.

The Land Rover driver behaved like an absolute idiot, both in his driving and his subsequent tantrum, but let the police deal with it. The answer to incivility is not to become less civil ourselves.

[QUOTE 3726400, member: 259"]With all the will in the world, Glenn, we aren't going to get fines proportinal to income or worth.[/QUOTE]

Charges commensurate with the behaviour would be a start.

Tin Pot

Guru
[QUOTE 3725230, member: 45"]Where should our responsibility for influencing the outcomes end? Do they deserve everything they get, or should we as a society be a bit more careful about taking the lid off their privacy?[/QUOTE]

Minor update to libel and defamation is all that's required.

If not, perhaps people will eventually learn through necessity not to gossip and persecute?

[QUOTE 3726466, member: 9609"]Why ?
He should loose his driving licence and that should be the end of it - other than the appalling and dangerous driving nothing much happened, couple of blokes had a heated argument on the street, there was no punches thrown - his business, his private life, his family should not be brought into this, you're going too far as usual.[/QUOTE]

Who said anything about bringing his family into it? You're lying, as usual.

If someone posts a picture of their peemus on the internet the clamours for anonymity are on a ship that's sailed.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Only if you can name the person being sung about, including surname!
Got me there

Dan B

Disengaged member
[QUOTE 3726466, member: 9609"]Why ?
He should loose his driving licence and that should be the end of it [/quote]
I disagree. He should learn not to do it again, he should understand why it is a bad thing to do (not just "oh noes, I've been found out") and he should make amends e.g. by serving as education to other people who might also think they can bully cyclists off the road.

Is taking away his driving licence going to serve any of those ends or is it just going to delay by three years his next stupid outburst?

Top Bottom