Social Media - where do our responsibilities end?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm grateful to @User for starting the thread. I think that if you are daft enough to post clips/opinions on social media of you yourself doing something stupid, dangerous, aggressive or just plain nasty, you deserve all the sh!t that comes your way. Ms. Emma Way and the Ducatti rider spring to mind. I'm not so sure about people who are filmed by others and held up to ridicule. The Brew Café owner is an example. Yes, I thought he was aggressive, a bad driver and a bit of a nobber but there are plenty of people like that in this world that don't get hounded. Tempers flare, words are said, postures are adopted........and then it's over. That's probably better than a load of pitchforks being raised by a keyboard mob. BTW, I'm not entirely blameless in that respect but I may try and do better.

There aren't any pitchforks. There aren't any vigilantes. People are suggesting a boycott and calling him a nobber on facetube.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I think he drove dangerously and aggressively. No excuse for that. It got a bit mouthy. It happens sometimes. Without a camera on the scene it would have been entirely forgotten within a day by both parties.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Internet-Lynch-Mob2.gif

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I think he drove dangerously and aggressively. No excuse for that. It got a bit mouthy. It happens sometimes. Without a camera on the scene it would have been entirely forgotten within a day by both parties.
Possibly by one of them.

I was squared up to by a driver some time ago (he lipread my "thank you" as, well, let's say he lipread it as something else).

The experience has coloured pretty much every interaction since (I don't thank drivers anymore, save for by an unambiguous wave; I'm very circumspect about which instances of p*ss poor driving I complain about). It's a massively unequal situation, as the driver has the speed to catch you, the weight to do you serious damage, and a road culture that's blithely accepting of this sort of behaviour, on the whole, reinforced by media perception and the legal system.

yello

It's a massively unequal situation, as the driver has the speed to catch you, the weight to do you serious damage, and a road culture that's blithely accepting of this sort of behaviour, on the whole, reinforced by media perception and the legal system.

Undoubtedly true. Certainly I agree with that assessment, particularly the existence of said road culture.

Is that this particular nobbers fault though? Any more than it is, say, mine or yours? Does it give all and sundry the right to take to their keyboards in cyber vigilantism? I honestly don't know.

I can't say I'm bothered in this particular case; the repugnant, odious little sh*t will not get any sympathy from me BUT more generally I do feel genuinely uncomfortable about the degrees of 'naming and shaming' that does go on. There's a line somewhere.

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Is that this particular nobbers fault though? Any more than it is, say, mine or yours? Does it give all and sundry the right to take to their keyboards in cyber vigilantism? I honestly don't know.
I was specifically addressing the idea that "both parties will forget about it".

But to speak to your point, I think it hints at the root of the spectrum of responses (as ever, some of it will be fairly moderate, drowned out by the more vehement, the revelation of personal data, &c &c) because as a commuting cyclist in the UK, it's hard to feel that anyone "has your back" in this sort of incident.

A £90 fine (received for the sweary rant, not the driving, remember) seems paltry. And the driver undoubtedly only received that because of the presence of a camera[1]. The level of instinctive contempt for traffic law seems to be internalised by UK road users (at least, given the number that I see using 'phones at the wheel, passing too close, speeding, parking illegally/inconsiderately &c &c) and not a thing is said about it, for the most part.

Revealing personal information, and ad hominem, I agree is too far. But I'm grateful for the information that someone owning a company has a dangerous level of contempt for a group I belong to, so that I can use the services of someone who doesn't.

BUT more generally I do feel genuinely uncomfortable about the degrees of 'naming and shaming' that does go on. There's a line somewhere.
Agreed, although it's worth saying that twitter/facebook/social media aren't monolithic - there's a spectrum of response that runs the gamut from moderate to frothing.

What I find slightly dispiriting is that Way, and this fellow are notable only in that they chose to boast about, or defend their actions. Had they just continued their journey (as most of the close passers, screamers, tailgaters, phone users &c I encounter do) chuff all would have happened, and they'd still be out there bullying all but the most hardy and determined off the road.

[1] Again, the lack of any will to do anything about Britain's road culture, or about specific incidents, seems to be making the use of these an inevitability. The most frequent response to incidents of bad driving locally seems to be "get a camera and report it". My only experience of reporting an incident to the police resulted in no further action because the CCTV had been "lost" by the company involved.

U

User482

[QUOTE 3727118, member: 45"]He posted a picture in which it couldn't be seen. Someone took it and changed the brightness (I guess) so that it was clear.[/QUOTE]

I'll take your word for it - I have no intention of doing a search!

yello

But I'm grateful for the information that someone owning a company has a dangerous level of contempt for a group I belong to, so that I can use the services of someone who doesn't.

Good point! I know I'd take similar action. As, I suspect, would many.

I haven't followed this incident in any depth and am only vaguely aware of Way (Emma??), so I don't know if they "boasted" of their actions. If so, living and dying by the sword seems a relevant remark.

I hope we all see there are limits to such actions though, from any party. Perspective and appropriateness are required. I don't want peoples kids kicked out of school over a parking ticket!

Top Bottom