Some Brompton questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
Hi all.

New to the site, but I wondered if any of you knowledgeable people might be able to answer some questions.

I've pretty much set my heart on a six speed L, but am undecided on the bars.

I prefer the look of the S, but having had a test ride the M bars were a little too high and the S bars a little too low.

I fancied the idea of getting the S and then putting riser bars on, but I think that these may catch on the floor.

So my latest thought is to buy the H type and then fit MTB style risers bars to drop the height. So that it's a little higher than the S type and I shouldn't have any issues with the bars hitting the ground.

Anyone know if this is likely to cause issues?

Also, with regard to gears, are there any aftermarket kits available to make the changers more pleasant to use.

It seems like for a bike with such a cult following, there's very little information online (that I can find).

Last edited:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I have bars Tioga bars on an S stem, which gives a height between the two – closer to the M than S:

brompton-ben8-16.jpg

http://www.benlovejoy.com/cycle/brompton/

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
There's not a massive amount of spare play in the cables when the S is folded to stretch the height too much, it'd work but notby much I reckon. I'd suggest lowering an H as the easier cable run option.

A couple of pics of my standard S folded to give you an idea of cable play and ground clearance, Cables : you'd get an inch or two at most more.

Ground clearance: a tad over 2 1/2 inches as my fingers are quite squashed together to fit there & my hands aren't the biggest.

1434387440465.jpg

1434387363980.jpg

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Thanks both.

I was figuring on the cable stretch thing after chatting to the guy in the Brompton Junction.

I'm thinking the H is the way to go, then getting bars to drop it down.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Not sure I understand?

Should I be going for the + or - version?

Most things I've read seem to suggest the spread is good.

Is there a link to how the 6 gears compare in ratio to the gears on the 3 speed?

I'm finding I'm spinning out at the top end on the flat - and down hills. Bottom end is OK for my current commute, but during school holidays when I cycle from my house to the station, rather than drop my daughter off in the car on the way, I have a hu-u-u-u-u-ge hill to climb. Not sure the bottom gear would do it yet.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6...4!1sleBEm6S_zyFCflP_LnoHVA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If the bottom gear is possibly a bit high, and top is too low, then definitely get a 6 speed. Compared to the 3 speed, there's another two gears at the bottom end and one at the top, assuming standard gearing. My M6R will do a 10% hill in bottom, and 40mph in top (assuming I'm going down a big hill)

Last edited:

jay clock

Massive member
I went for the S. The H looks awful, plus I am used to a road bike so prefer a low down position. There is a Brompton employee I see cycling to work who does have riser bars on an S, so must be possible

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
I think the final height will be about the same. That's starting with an S and fitting riser bars to raise it or an H and fitting riser bars to lower it.

It seems like doing the latter would be less problematic because I can always shorten the existing cables if they're too long, but I'd have to buy new cables if they're too short from raising an S.

The one thing I didn't consider, however, is the curve of the S stem. One of my problems with the bike is how short it is, and I know the S curves forward so that it's about 13mm ahead of the M. It might not sound like much, but every little helps.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
I think the hill I'm on about is a 12%. I know it's a lowest gear (for me) on my Triban 3 (triple chainset) and about 4th/5th on my previous commuter which was a Dahon matrix.

My 'best' (and I hasten to use that word) average speed up it, is 6 mph.

jay clock

Massive member
I have an S3L with standard gears. I like to spin rather than grind. So I replaced the 50T with a 44T and on the flat I jump between 2 (spins too fast) and 3 ( a little bit grindy). 1 is fairly easy for hills.

Top Bottom