Some puncture repair questions (with pictures)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lockheed

I have no experience in repairing punctures, so I thought it's better to ask someone more experienced if there is any point.

So, question #1 - tube puncture:

is there any point in fixing it? I'd like to use it with at least 70-80psi, maybe even 100.

Question #2 - tyre puncture:

The tyre has two punctures like this. They are rather small but go all the way through the tyre. I suppose they do not render it unusable but I do not know if they should be repaired in anyway or just left as they are.

Now, this looks more serious from the outside. The rift is at least 1mm deep but there is no trace of it on the inner side of the tyre.

Should (and what) I do anything about those or can I just use the tyre as is, as long as the inner tube is al-right? I intend to use it around its maximal allowed pressure.

gbb

Legendary Member
Hiya lockheed...
Picture 1...depends on how desperate you are (stuck in the middle of nowhere without a spare...you fix it)...just need a big patch..preferably from a good quality kit.
Picture 2...no problem, just use a small patch over each individual hole
Picture 3..slits that havnt gone through the casing are probably ok..but inevitably its not ideal. Regardless, i'd ride with that, just keep your eye on it getting bigger.

Some here will throw a tube as soon as its punctured...not because you should, but probably because a new tube isnt that expensive to some peoples way of thinking. Personally, i have tubes with 10 or more repairs on...its no problem really.
I'd get a good quality repair kit...some of the cheaper ones are rubbish.

Norm

Pretty much exactly what gbb said from me too. I'd repair the tube, patch the tyre and watch the splits.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
1. I'd replace that tube. From the picture, that looks like a cut, not a puncture, and cuts can "run". In an emergency, you do what ya gotta do, but I'd replace it as soon as I could.

2. No problem. Nice tyre. That's a Continental Sport Contact. Plenty of life left. The sipling hasn't even worn off, yet. Should be good for at least another 2000 - 3000 miles. But, when you find this kind of puncture, be sure to squeeze it while you have it off, to open it up the hole. You may find a tiny piece of glass still in there. It may be the size of a small grain of sand. Those will usually pop out when you squeeze the hole open. Problem solved. If it is still in there, it will puncture your newly-repaired (or new) tube.

3. Agree with gbb.

One more comment. You'll get lots of punctures in the tyre like in picture #2. That's pretty normal. Check your tyres frequently. You can usually prevent many punctures by finding and removing tiny shards of glass before they work their way all the way through to the tube.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
That tube puncture looks like its on the inside of the tube. Are you using rim cloth?

Velox would be my recommendation if you are not

OP
OP
L

Lockheed

threefingerjoe said:
when you find this kind of puncture, be sure to squeeze it while you have it off, to open it up the hole. You may find a tiny piece of glass still in there. It may be the size of a small grain of sand. Those will usually pop out when you squeeze the hole open. Problem solved. If it is still in there, it will puncture your newly-repaired (or new) tube.
Great piece of advice. I pulled out 6 or 7 such shards with a needle.

Old timer

Über Member
I just tried some slime ready self adhesive patches! superb and quick.

OP
OP
L

Lockheed

Old timer said:
I just tried some slime ready self adhesive patches! superb and quick.
I heard they go off with time so I got a piece of rubber (20x7cm) and a tube of rubber solution for 2 pounds total at non-chain LBS, and now the wheel is just like new!

giantscr2.0

slowmotion said:
Could you suggest one? Thanks.

I use the Park Tools Super Patch.
Very quick and easy to use. As I only ever get a p*****re when its freezing cold, pouring with rain, dark and miles from home not having to mess around with using glue is a big advantage.
The patches do not come in a made up kit so you would need to remember to take tyre levers with you. Sounds like a daft thing to say but the amount of times I see a stranded cyclist with a flat p*****re and they have no repair kit, or forgotten a pump or levers:wacko:

Tynan

Veteran
the ones that need the tube to be clean and dry?

I used them in my kitchen after washing the tube and drying it with a paper towel, they're okish then, at the side of a dark road in the rain and wind, well ...

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Tynan said:
the ones that need the tube to be clean and dry?

I used them in my kitchen after washing the tube and drying it with a paper towel, they're okish then, at the side of a dark road in the rain and wind, well ...

I'm a strictly 23 degrees C, bone dry, 10,000 lux kind of a wimp. I attempt a listless repair from the comfort of my chaise-long.

Top Bottom