Some things don't travel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A few threads recently about greeting other cyclists. I am in favour, generally.

I like to appear as jolly as my thoroughly miserable disposition allows me to, but with reservations.

I recall from my motorcycling days that riders in france and elsewhere in the LHD world often lift the fingers (or whole palm) of their clutch hand when passing a rider coming the other way. This doesn't work in the UK, because it's the throttle hand on the offside.

Similarly, on a big, lung-ripper of a climb in France, I am not surprised when every fifth car drops a window and yells a hearty "COUUU-RAAAAGE!"

It feels good. It feels Gallic. It gets me up the hill. It makes me taste the coffee I haven't yet ordered.

However, when struggling and dying on a climb on the Malverns or the Beacons, I do not want this.

It's the same as buying a galette from a street cook (even a French one) in London. It was not the food that made it special in Normandy. It will be a let-down. You will still be in Liverpool Street when you're looking for a bin for the wrapper.

Some habits and pleasures do not travel. By all means give me a slightly cool (or even imperceptible) nod as I ride past, but no smiles please. No greetings that take the hand more than 2cm from the brake lever and...

Do Not Shout "COOUUU-RAAAAAGE!" at me when I'm climbing in p1ssy, wet, cold Worcestershire.

Thank you for reading this, even if you didn't.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Maybe you can explain why croissants bought in France are a light, flaky, buttery delight whereas croissants bought in England are horrible, small, dense and lardy?

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Because croissants bought in France are made locally from decent ingredients and sold fresh on the morning they were made,
Croissants bought in the UK are invariably made in a huge factory in Dudley (or somewhere similar) from the cheapest ingredients possible and shipped out to be sold days later.....

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It's nice to exchange pleasantries with a fellow pedaller in quiet country lanes, but it's easily not always practical when in an urban environment or up a killer climb.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Me and a clubmate were out for a spin in the Peaks near Macclesfield/Kettleshulme. Climbing one hill, my mate was struggling a bit when a couple of pedestrians 'exclaimed'.... 'oh he doesn't look very well', cue me splitting my sides and my mate going 'humf grrrrr humf' :laugh:

I live in France, and I agree some things here are great, including the encouragement some people give you. However, last October some French p***ts decided to come up behind me in their car and shout "Allez, Allez", extremely bloody loudly. This made me jump and then wobble around all over the road trying to keep the bike upright. I then saw them driving off slowly, laughing their heads off. For the next 3km I was cursing loudly when I spotted the same car on the side of the road, bonnet up and steam pouring out. I'm afraid I could not resist shouting "Allez, Allez" as I went past. Laughed all the way home.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
A few threads recently about greeting other cyclists. I am in favour, generally.

I like to appear as jolly as my thoroughly miserable disposition allows me to, but with reservations.

I recall from my motorcycling days that riders in france and elsewhere in the LHD world often lift the fingers (or whole palm) of their clutch hand when passing a rider coming the other way. This doesn't work in the UK, because it's the throttle hand on the offside.

Similarly, on a big, lung-ripper of a climb in France, I am not surprised when every fifth car drops a window and yells a hearty "COUUU-RAAAAGE!"

It feels good. It feels Gallic. It gets me up the hill. It makes me taste the coffee I haven't yet ordered.

However, when struggling and dying on a climb on the Malverns or the Beacons, I do not want this.

It's the same as buying a galette from a street cook (even a French one) in London. It was not the food that made it special in Normandy. It will be a let-down. You will still be in Liverpool Street when you're looking for a bin for the wrapper.

Some habits and pleasures do not travel. By all means give me a slightly cool (or even imperceptible) nod as I ride past, but no smiles please. No greetings that take the hand more than 2cm from the brake lever and...

Do Not Shout "COOUUU-RAAAAAGE!" at me when I'm climbing in p1ssy, wet, cold Worcestershire.

Thank you for reading this, even if you didn't.

I read the beginning and the end. I guessed the middle might be padding. I may be wrong...

Maybe you can explain why croissants bought in France are a light, flaky, buttery delight whereas croissants bought in England are horrible, small, dense and lardy?
he probably shopping at Tesco's buying their "finest" range, worst I have come across in the UK

Globalti

Legendary Member
Wht's funny about that? They didn't put him on a podium or do interviews like they do when I finish a ride. Shoddy Frenchies, tsk.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
come to Haywards Heath, where I work. awful town but it does have its own independent French patisserie.

OP
OP
Boris Bajic

Boris Bajic

Great video! I also like the 2cv they use. Fantastic!!

The 2CV is the only car in history worth calling a car...

Apart from the four-cyclinder traction-avant models, the DS, the CX, the GS, the Ami and maybe the XM.

The above is written with no bias or brand-induced myopia at all.

I liked the 2CV as well. But I don't think it was a real stage of the TdF. I think it was pretend. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom