Sometimes i hate where i live😕

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Or is an increase in poverty a cause of people making themselves unemployable because of persistent criminal behaviour? It can be both cause and effect.

Wouldn't that posit that a large part of the UK population suddenly decided to let itself go in the last ten years, for no apparent reason? It would also seem to suggest that in the 1930's everyone in the UK and US did the same, only to pull themselves together in time for world war 2.

I'm not trying to straw man you, honestly, it just seems an odd argument.

I've heard it suggested that poverty of itself doesn't cause violence, but inequality does.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Certainly London isnt a good place to be if knives give you the heebie jeebies.
That's bollox. I've been in dozens and dozens of pubs in London. Again....never seen any violence, never felt unsafe, never felt threatened. London is a massive city with 10m inhabitants. You can't tar the whole city with the same brush

The UK is a safe place.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
In comparison to others my complaint may sound trivial. The island where I have lived for nearly 50 years has been largely taken over by incomers. It was a normal working community based on farming and forestry largely with various other start ups such as a distillery. Now it has become a theme park based on introduced species such as sea eagles as well as otters and a variety of sea based wildlife.
Change does happen I accept but this has crept up to unmanageable proportions with no criticism tolerated. One incomer even went as far as saying that if we ( ie native and long term residents) do not like it we should go and live somewhere else. Some already have moved away in disgust and I seriously consider following them.

Just got back from a brilliant ride out. Freezing cold but wall to wall sunshine. 45 miles of stunning countryside with a short stop at a pub for coffee and cake.
Its amazing what a change of scenery does. A nice chat with some cyclists along the way and making a big fuss of the Patterdale terrier at the stop of the friendly pub. Mind is now reset again and all is well with the world once more 👍😊
Ps sorry for all the negativity before.
Sometimes i just have to get things off my chest, and talking to the cat somehow doesn't cut it lol😊
Nice return post.
You so rarely come across return posts like yours.
Would like it more than once if possible.
Thanks.
But what we all want to know of course.
Is whether you were propositioned.
By someone more appropriate to your tastes/inclinations.

Certainly London isnt a good place to be if knives give you the heebie jeebies.
Knife attacks in london are a very serious issue for sure.
But london is a very safe place indeed.
I suggest you double check the population of london.
And take comfort from the fact that the profile of the unfortunate victims of the very serious issue of knife crime in london puts you seriously outside it.

In comparison to others my complaint may sound trivial. The island where I have lived for nearly 50 years has been largely taken over by incomers. It was a normal working community based on farming and forestry largely with various other start ups such as a distillery. Now it has become a theme park based on introduced species such as sea eagles as well as otters and a variety of sea based wildlife.
Change does happen I accept but this has crept up to unmanageable proportions with no criticism tolerated. One incomer even went as far as saying that if we ( ie native and long term residents) do not like it we should go and live somewhere else. Some already have moved away in disgust and I seriously consider following them.
It's all the fault of the otters?
You need a pint of this
Otter Claus.

https://www.otterbrewery.com/shop/otter-claus/

Recommended.

At a spoons near you.

Edit _ sent from a london spoons with a more varied customer base it would be hard to imagine - measured by age. Income, race. Colour, religion. All peaceful - and has been in my years of coming here.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru

Islay?

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I do think that small towns can often harbour more trouble than larger cities.
In a small town if you have an enemy its hard to not bump into them at some point. With a limited amount of places to drink they will no doubt cross paths. In a larger city its much bigger and theres more choices to spend your evening. Years ago my local town resembled the Wild West. Every week end there was a punch up somewhere but that's all they were. A Sunday morning or Monday back at work you would always see someone with a black eye or a fat lip.
As bad as it was, thats all it ever amounted to.
Today however its really bloody nasty when things break out. Knives, Glassing, and serious kickings seem to be the norm..
People nowadays don't seem to know when enough is enough. With the lack of policing, doormen are policing the streets outside the pubs.
Last night it was the doormen who intervened in the fracas going on outside between the angry ladies.
Why are youngsters more aggressive nowadays i don't know. Is it to many violent computer games/tv that they grown up with(i really dont know)
Granted there's not as much trouble nowadays at night but when there is, i find it is so much more violent. The days waking up with a black eye have been replaced with waking up in hospital with a stab wound.
If it carries on it makes you wonder whats the next generation going to be like.

vickster

Legendary Member
I do think that small towns can often harbour more trouble than larger cities.
In a small town if you have an enemy its hard to not bump into them at some point. With a limited amount of places to drink they will no doubt cross paths. In a larger city its much bigger and theres more choices to spend your evening. Years ago my local town resembled the Wild West. Every week end there was a punch up somewhere but that's all they were. A Sunday morning or Monday back at work you would always see someone with a black eye or a fat lip.
As bad as it was, thats all it ever amounted to.
Today however its really bloody nasty when things break out. Knives, Glassing, and serious kickings seem to be the norm..
People nowadays don't seem to know when enough is enough. With the lack of policing, doormen are policing the streets outside the pubs.
Last night it was the doormen who intervened in the fracas going on outside between the angry ladies.
Why are youngsters more aggressive nowadays i don't know. Is it to many violent computer games/tv that they grown up with(i really dont know)
Granted there's not as much trouble nowadays at night but when there is, i find it is so much more violent. The days waking up with a black eye have been replaced with waking up in hospital with a stab wound.
If it carries on it makes you wonder whats the next generation going to be like.
Because in the good old days, no one ever got glassed or bottled in a pub? My dad used to run pubs, he got hit over the head with a bottle...50 odd years ago (big bloke, 6'4)

Men + alcohol = fights (or can do)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@Dayvo Just to make you feel better I cherry picked a couple of stats for you; the manslaughter rate per million people is 28 times higher in Norway compared to the UK, in addition Norway has a higher youth murder rate.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It would be interesting to know how many of those Norwegian murders and manslaughters are committed by complete strangers and how many by friends and relatives who know each other.

Top Bottom