sore arse!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I have a Brookes which i survived Manchester to Cornwall without to much pain without padding but it is really down to personal choice.

chigman

I'm suffering too. I'm alright for about 25m but after that, whoaaaa, cant sit on the saddle properly. I have ordered some padded shorts, just hope they make a difference so I can put in some decent mileage.:smile:

steve

Rebel Ian

People think that a softer saddle is more comfy but I don't think that's true. I've never got overly saddle sore with either of mine (Specialized and San Marco) and they are barely padded at all. A mate of mine did say to me once "don't worry, the saddle will wear you in" which is true. After a while your derriere does become used to it!

delstron

The Charge 'Spoon' saddle has a reputation for suiting a lot of people. Its quite cheap and if you don't take to it then you could sell it on for very little loss. They're around £22

Moodyman

Legendary Member
A few points:

Before you go splashing on a new saddle, check your saddle position - height, angle as well as distance from handlebars.

Then, look at your riding style. Do you get off the saddle at every opportunity (slight downhills) to get the blood flowing? This makes a big difference.

Also, do you wear padded shorts. These help.

Re Brooks B17 and Charge Spoon.

I bought a Brooks to put on my new Charge bike. But, I found the Charge Spoon saddle (that the bike came with) so comfy that the Brooks has not been anywhere near the bike.

normgow

Guru
Try smearing Nupercainal ointment on the inserts in your shorts.
If cycling were easy it would be called football.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
I bought a Bioflex Ozone saddle for my old bike with the intent of transferring it to my Focus MTB. But I actually find the saddle that came with the Focus more comfortable and there is barely any padding on it.

Manonabike

Über Member
Moodyman said:
A few points:

Before you go splashing on a new saddle, check your saddle position - height, angle as well as distance from handlebars.

Yes, this is the basic starting point.

Then, look at your riding style. Do you get off the saddle at every opportunity (slight downhills) to get the blood flowing? This makes a big difference.

This is where, I think, fitness and how much you weight come into the equation..... the fitter you are the harder you pedal which equates to putting less preassure on the saddle with your backside. As you spend more time on the saddle and you get more tired your whole body weight tends to concentrate on the saddle.

Also, do you wear padded shorts. These help.

Re Brooks B17 and Charge Spoon.

I bought a Brooks to put on my new Charge bike. But, I found the Charge Spoon saddle (that the bike came with) so comfy that the Brooks has not been anywhere near the bike.

Padded shorts do help but it gets to a point when only a rest from the saddle is the only real solution.... for me that is around 80 mile mark for fit people that might be lots more.

I have a Brooks B17 and they are very comfortable until one gets tire....

This week I tried the Charge Spoon and I was very impressed with it..... very comfortable with padded shorts but it also got a bit uncomfortable after 50 miles. I have now ordered a Charge Spoon saddle too :-)

Definitely a soft saddle is not the answer if you are riding more than a few miles. A saddle that supports your sitbones is the saddle to go for.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I don't suppose you're looking to sell it then, are you?

I will, at some point, get round to using it, but felt no immediate need as the Spoon is that good.

If anything, I'll use it for the bling factor. They say you're not a petrolhead until you've driven an Alfa Romeo, I guess the same could be said for Brooks and being a proper cyclist.

Good try though!

I have a Fizik saddle on my Scott roadie. At first I hated it, made my nuts numb and hurt my delicate little butt;).

Went out for a ride one day, hit a bump which caused the saddle to move slightly. Hey presto what a change, perfect now.

Top Bottom