Sore bottom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Unicyclefool

Hello all,

This is my first post but I hope you will be able to help me.

I have been trying to persuade my wife for a number of years about the joys of running and cycling. She has not yet really understood why I would enjoy either pursuit.

However she has recently decided that she really ought to use the bike for short journeys around the village rather than driving (cheaper and greener). Unfortunately she always complains that her bottom hurts while cycling. I want to buy her a decent saddle that that will eliminate the pain.

What do you recommend?

Thanks

gavintc

Guru
When god was allocating our private bits, he ensured that men would ride bikes on a fairly flat bit of skin. Women are a different kettle of fish. Look at female saddles with a large cut away. The Specialized BG range has one and many other companies do similar. But, as my wife has found - it is trial, pain and then success. There is no easy solution to the problem.

Oh, and by the way, Assos cream might leave a lovely warm feeling on guys, it can leave a less than pleasant feeling on women if applied too liberally.

Maz

Guru
Hello Unicyclefool,

How long has your wife been cycling for? If she's completely new to cycling, any saddle can take time to get used to. Give it (say) a couple of weeks of regular use and see if the situation has improved. If not, perhaps another saddle is needed.

Jo25

I had a very similar, painful problem, even after only 3 or 4 miles. Switching to a saddle with a cut-out (I got this one http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=21904 but there are many out there) was a huge relief..... er, I mean improvement! Have since done many 20 odd and one 45 miler with no such discomfort.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'd say it depends on the length of journey, or time in the saddle. For short journeys, 15-20 mins a soft padded saddle might be more preferable, but i find over a longer distance a firmer saddle is best.
On my wife's bike, which is only used for 2 mile max trips, she has a spesh saddle that is so soft & bouncy it's more like an arm chair (something like this)but my wife prefers it, whereas i'd prefer a Brooks any day. She really needs to try them in the shop though before buying, otherwise you'll spend a fortune buying & selling saddles on ebay / mail order ;)

I spent a lot of time and money trying to find a seat that would prove comfortable, and I reached the conclusion that all I was doing was finding some saddles that were marginally less painful than others. The pain for me could never be reduced to levels that were tolerable until I eventually realised that I was coming at this from the wrong direction. I now have a recumbent bike and a recumbent trike, and I experience no pain or numbness. If you really want to involve your wife in your hobby, I would suggest that you arrange a couple of test rides on 'bents.

It is my opinion that no man, or woman, has an undercarriage designed to make riding a conventional bike anywhere near comfortable. Misguided folk put up with the discomfort because cycling is hugely enjoyable in so many other ways, when all they need really do is open their eyes and see the recumbent light.

pinkkaz

Veteran
Mine was painful for about 2 weeks. And then you get used to it and it doesn't hurt any more! She needs to get out on the bike every day and the pain will soon stop.

k turner

I found after 6 weeks of hell I bought some longs with a padded bum. Brilliant, I wear them all the time around the house as well as they are made of really soft and comfie material. I am not sure if they will be warm enough in winter though, but I have ski pants and waterproofs to wear on top, but you can be sure they will be my base layer.

beancounter

xpc316e said:
It is my opinion that no man, or woman, has an undercarriage designed to make riding a conventional bike anywhere near comfortable. Misguided folk put up with the discomfort because cycling is hugely enjoyable in so many other ways, when all they need really do is open their eyes and see the recumbent light.

The vast majority of cyclists very quickly get used to sitting on a normal saddle and experience little or no pain even when cycling large distances.

You must be...erm...different.

bc

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have been suffering a little recently and was blaming it on less cycling when the kids were on holidays... but today I happened to be running my hand along my saddle and noticed that there is a definate upwards tilt to it. It also explains the unusual noise that I couldn't work out where it was coming from .. the saddle slipping. So it might be worth a quick check on how level the saddle is. I'm off out to correct mine now.

Top Bottom