Sore Knees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Liamjc90

I'v been cycling to work and doing the occasional weekend run for a little under 2 months now and done just over 300 miles, and iv just started to get sore knees. Its sore at the top inside of my knee, im just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if its just pain from muscle development maybe?

andsaw

Have you read these http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/knee-pain-adjustment.111034/ it helped me tweak a part of my knee.

NickJ95GB

i've noticed my knees are often heavily bruised on the inside after cycling. is this from hitting the frame ( i occasionally do it, but i don't feel it, maybe i'm warmed up) or is it something else? it's pretty much painless

andsaw

Whaah, do your legs go numb while riding? im sure if i was hitting the frame with my knees id feel it, it would be like hitting your funny bone if your bruising that much lol.

NickJ95GB

Whaah, do your legs go numb while riding? im sure if i was hitting the frame with my knees id feel it, it would be like hitting your funny bone if your bruising that much lol.
pretty much, my entire body does, i was dripping blood once and had no idea haha

andsaw

Mate, on a serious note, are you sure you haven't got a medical problem, that doesn't sound right to me, what size T3 have you got and what's your height and how have you set up your ride, and have you added extras to it.

Lee_M

Guru
unexplained bruises on your legs are not good - if you get them frequently go to the doctor, not the forum :stop:

It could be DVTs as a worst case

NickJ95GB

so i did a quick 17 mile ride yesterday, and made sure not to bash my knees at all, and the inside of my knees are really bruised again - at least 2.5 inches across...

Cyclist33

I get some pain above my knees, like a strain, I've probably cycled too much this weekend though I think it might be that my cleats are positioned so as to put my feet straight on, ie parallel to the the line of the bike, whereas my own natural feet position is more like a penguin's.

Cyclist33

you sure? doctor? they go after a couple of days, and aren't painful, but i'm not sure why.... do you get anything? i get no bruises anywhere else.

I've no idea what is causing it - never happened to me - and I'm not sure all GPs know enough about cycling to just sort it out, but it might be worthwhile. Could simply be something like your joints being forced into an unnatural position (do you use cleats?) and your body having a paddy in return.

NickJ95GB

i have flat feet so my legs don't always travel exactly true, they wobble a little at times, i don't use cleats, i wear trainers and normal pedals, but i was unfit before cycling and do tend to push a lot

Cyclist33

i have flat feet so my legs don't always travel exactly true, they wobble a little at times, i don't use cleats, i wear trainers and normal pedals, but i was unfit before cycling and do tend to push a lot

Maybe get some solid platform pedals, something like a DMR V8, if you don't fancy cleats, and I have found that trail running shoes or low-cut hiking shoes (which will have a harder sole than regular trainers), can help with getting more out of your pedalstroke. And back off the pushing a bit and just enjoy the ride!

Top Bottom