(sort of) Independence Day, July 14th or 21st

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I'm organising an Independence Day ride this July. It's planned for the 14th or the 21st, the final decision to be based on weather/participation forecasts, railtrack engineering works, and the reading of entrails. If you're interested, I would be grateful if you could email your preferred date to hastingshustle at gmail.com, with 'hastings' in the subject line.

While it's true that this doesn't take place on the 4th (I'm American), I note that the Queen doesn't officially celebrate her birthday on her birthday, either.

This is the route, with a few mostly minor alterations in the works. It finishes at the America Ground, a patch of land whose inhabitants declared independence in the early 19th century.

AG.jpg

On the way we will be visiting or at least catching sight of the Crystal Palace Park dinosaurs, Down House, Chartwell, Tunbridge of the disgusting Well, Kipling country, a pyramid, and Battle, where in an alternate reality the British fought the Americans and George Washington shot an arrow into crazy King George's IIIrd eye.

The meeting place is Somerset House on the NE corner of Waterloo Bridge, down the glass-sided ramp. Start is 9am, and it will in all likelihood take all day — last time we finished at around 5, and that was with just three of us, with roughly matched abilities. The 'hustle' is chiefly for the purpose of alliteration; pace will be whatever keeps us reasonably close together. Basically, wait at the top of big hills and turns.

This is an unsupported ride. Much of it runs not too far from a railway line, if anybody wants to bail. (The Hastings line is, in my experience, cyclist friendly.) I prefer to do it on a sunny day because there are some great British views, and hills are steeper when it's gloomy.

gbs

Guru
Either day is possible as of now. I will watch the thread.
PS: have nothing to offer re local knowledge of E Sussex/Kent

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Either day is possible as of now. I will watch the thread.

I have threads going here, here, and here, but that's probably a little too much watching. Despite the crossfora advertising, it's still going to be what an estate agent would call a cozy ride.

PS: have nothing to offer re local knowledge of E Sussex/Kent

My knowledge along this corridor is reasonably good, I've ridden it enough times now...

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm kind of a possible. I currently seem to be under some kind of bike curfew though.

I definitely can't make the 21st though and I may be putting the bike in for the wheels to be retensioned which would put me out of the 14th too

Norm

By happy circumstance, Hastings is linked with another country which its own independence celebrations on the 14th July.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
AS - I'm so sorry, I can't do this one now on either date. Much as I'd like to, as this sounds a fabulous day - I really really need a weekend off!

gbs

Guru
I guess this ride is not going to happen tomorrow, 21/07, either. Tant pis but I have a cold to nurse so it will not be an aggravation for me.

gbs

Guru
Good. In the unlikely event that I feel fit enough I will join you. Don't wait, I am paranoidally punctual! Enjoy!

Top Bottom