Sourdough Bread.... why ????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Having never tried it we got an M&S one**.
We tried it lightly toasted.......rock hard.
Tried it as it comes, with butter on. Terrible texture.
What am I missing here ?
**I admit, it was on its sell by date but that surely means its fine to eat.

Slick

Guru
It's delicious but fry it next time. :okay:

Slick

Guru
I remember working in a bake house as a school boy and watching the guy dough up, loved it. :hungry:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It shouldn't be hard. Get some fresh or make some, it should be firm when cold but it goes fairly soft and doughy in the middle when heated... fry or toast, butter the heck out of it, and serve with black pudding, a soft fried egg and some bacon... yum.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Is sourdough the same ?
At 61 I thought I'd try it...rubbish, shan't bother again .
Oops......sorry. i have cocked this up.
It was indeed Sourdough bread.
I have edited the title.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Having never tried it we got an M&S one**.
We tried it lightly toasted.......rock hard.
Tried it as it comes, with butter on. Terrible texture.
What am I missing here ?
**I admit, it was on its sell by date but that surely means its fine to eat.
sourdough is trendy and you're too old granddad ^_^

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The sourdough loaf I just picked up bears no relation to the tight, dry stuff M&S sell.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It can be a bit tough once it's dried out but it generally lasts longer than processed crap and is lower-GI (not full of refined carbs / sugar) so reduces blood sugar spikes that can lead to food cravings and insulin issues. Far fewer (if any) additives / preservatives and probably more fibre too.

IMO it tastes a lot nicer than "normal" bread and is completely addictive toasted / with eggs. Because it tends to be more resileant than the rubbish we're used to, if making sarnies etc it pays to cut it thinner than usual. IMO it stands out in a sea of mass-produced diabetes-fuel that passes for "bread" in this country (something even commented on by the waitress in a Dutch cafe I visited last year!).

I you want proper stuff source it from a local speciality baker or knock some up yourself. My old dear's become a dab hand at it and it's delicious.. not that I think it agrees with me :rolleyes:

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Oops......sorry. i have cocked this up.
It was indeed Sourdough bread.
I have edited the title.

Okay, your mistake remains the same though, do not buy one from a supermarket. For a real sourdough, where you don’t want to make your own, you should find a local baker who does it. The stuff you get in any supermarket is likely to be sourfaux, a factory made bread with all sorts of additives, plus vinegar to give it a fake tang.

Sourdough benefits greatly in the making from time but for supermarket suppliers time is money so they take shortcuts with enhancers to speed up the process. You might get lucky and find a supermarket one that’s to your taste but if the ingredients list shows anything beyond flour, water and salt then it’s not the real thing.

Top Bottom