Speeding cyclist and Highway Code Rule 69

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by helston90, 11 Sep 2017.

  1. helston90

    helston90 Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.

    On a local Facebook group I made the point speed limits do not apply to cyclists (someone was moaning about cyclists going way over the speed limit).

    Someone else has come back pointing to rule 69 of the Highway Code

    Under 'Rules for cyclists'
    Rule 69
    You MUST obey all traffic signs and traffic light signals.

    Does this not include speed limits? Surely a 40mph sign is a traffic sign and cyclists can't go above it?
    Just trying to back up statements I make with evidence.
  2. Regulator

    Regulator Scourge of stale, pale, male snowflakes.

    No. Not all signs apply to all vehicles.

    The law on speed limits specifically applies to motor vehicles. The 40mph sign is a sign for motor vehicles.

    The Highway Code gives advice - it is not the law.
    mjr likes this.
  3. tyred

    tyred Legendary Member

    Unlike a car/van/etc, there is no legal requirement for a bike to have a speedometer so I don't see how it could be legally enforced.

    The old "stop in the distance you can see to be clear" advice applies which is very good advice and sadly often ignored by many road users of all road going vehicles.
  4. Alan O

    Alan O Über Member

    mustang1 likes this.
  5. GrumpyGregry

    GrumpyGregry non-contributing ex-member

    Speeding cyclist, in law in England and Wales, is a contradiction in terms. A fast cyclist might be cycling furiously though, depending on circumstances.
  6. DaveReading

    DaveReading Veteran

    Though the word "must" in the Highway Code indicates that disobeying the instruction is a criminal offence.
  7. But the instruction isn't directed to cyclist so can't be disobeyed. As noted above, not all signs apply to all vehicle types.

    That said, there's a very high probability that if a cyclist is exceeding the speed limit they are a selfish nobber. But that's not an offence in law.
  8. mcshroom

    mcshroom Bionic Subsonic

    Egremont, Cumbria
    It means there is a law that the HC is referring to. In this case the law only applies to motor vehicles.
    mjr and Drago like this.
  9. midliferider

    midliferider Veteran

    I would love to get a speeding ticket while cycling.
    Last weekend, I was cycling along a rural village road and there were mobile unit holding camera. I cycled furiously fast but couldn't exceed the 30 limit. The policeman smiled and said not good enough!
    rugby bloke, Simontm, antnee and 14 others like this.
  10. The Highway Code is a code of practice, not a legal reference. Should and must is all well and good, the the remit of the code is far, far too brief to be taken as a legal guide.

    If you're not in/on a motor vehicle, the speed limit can not be enforced with respect to you.
    mustang1, T.M.H.N.E.T and Dogtrousers like this.
  11. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guru

    There's no breathlyser in my car, but I can still be done for having excess alcohol in my bloodstream. Or in other words, it's not the lack of a speedo that makes the law not applicable to cyckusts.
    Illaveago, mustang1, mjr and 2 others like this.
  12. Beebo

    Beebo Firm and Fruity

    Royal parks police can enforce speed limits in the parks. I have seen them in Greenwich Park with a speed gun.
  13. Indeed, mopeds and motorcycles under 100cc built before a certain year are not required to have speedos, but will still fall down the stairs in the back of the coppers panda car if they break a speed limit.

    Edit - don't the parks police have some particular legislation for their sites?
  14. T.M.H.N.E.T

    T.M.H.N.E.T Disc brakes - Stopping things since 1902

    Northern Ireland
  15. DaveReading

    DaveReading Veteran

    Yes, and equally the instruction in the Highway Code Section 69 doesn't cover speed limit signs, so there's no inconsistency between the HC and the law.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice