Speeding cyclist and Highway Code Rule 69

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
On a local Facebook group I made the point speed limits do not apply to cyclists (someone was moaning about cyclists going way over the speed limit).

Someone else has come back pointing to rule 69 of the Highway Code

Under 'Rules for cyclists'
Rule 69
You MUST obey all traffic signs and traffic light signals.

Does this not include speed limits? Surely a 40mph sign is a traffic sign and cyclists can't go above it?
Just trying to back up statements I make with evidence.

tyred

Legendary Member
Unlike a car/van/etc, there is no legal requirement for a bike to have a speedometer so I don't see how it could be legally enforced.

The old "stop in the distance you can see to be clear" advice applies which is very good advice and sadly often ignored by many road users of all road going vehicles.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Speeding cyclist, in law in England and Wales, is a contradiction in terms. A fast cyclist might be cycling furiously though, depending on circumstances.

Tim Hall

Unlike a car/van/etc, there is no legal requirement for a bike to have a speedometer so I don't see how it could be legally enforced.
There's no breathlyser in my car, but I can still be done for having excess alcohol in my bloodstream. Or in other words, it's not the lack of a speedo that makes the law not applicable to cyckusts.

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed, mopeds and motorcycles under 100cc built before a certain year are not required to have speedos, but will still fall down the stairs in the back of the coppers panda car if they break a speed limit.

Edit - don't the parks police have some particular legislation for their sites?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
It means there is a law that the HC is referring to. In this case the law only applies to motor vehicles.

Yes, and equally the instruction in the Highway Code Section 69 doesn't cover speed limit signs, so there's no inconsistency between the HC and the law.

Tim Hall

I'm not up to date with the carious by laws / statutory instruments, but my last reading of the Royal Parks regulations had the speed limits applying to "mechanically propelled vehicles" again (thus not including bikes) after a time when they did apply to bikes as well.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom