Speeding cyclist and Highway Code Rule 69

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Though the word "must" in the Highway Code indicates that disobeying the instruction is a criminal offence.
No. It indicates it is giving advice on a point of law

You might want to take that up with the editors of the HC, from which I was quoting directly:
Many of the rules in The Highway Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Royal parks police can enforce speed limits in the parks. I have seen them in Greenwich Park with a speed gun.
Not recently. Unless it was a different sort of speed gun, which would entirely fit in with my view of the parks police.

The Forth Road Bridge has a 20mph bylaw too but thats partly because the barriers are too low.
A bylaw set by someone who thinks cyclists wobble less if they go slower :wacko:

johnnyb47

Guru
Where does the law stand on time trial events held on the public highway. The local club by me holds them every Friday on a road that's still used by traffic and at one point the tt riders will easily exceed the 30mph through the village. There's never been any problems or concerns about it with the public but it could certainly be classed as furious riding.

Last edited:

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
One of the perks of cycling is being the only road users allowed to overtake a police car at speed without consequences*.

* To date.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I think if you're trying to counter the point that "cyclists go way over the speed limit" with the argument that "limits don't apply to cyclists", then you've lost the argument. It's like countering "cyclists don't pay road tax" with "there's no such thing as road tax". It might be accurate, but it saddens me whenever I see it as there are so many better counters.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I'm getting confused. What exactly are you trying to say?

Simply that

a) the Highway Code makes it perfectly clear which bits have the backing of law (the must/mustn't items) and which don't (the should/shouldn'ts)

and

b) it makes it not quite so clear (because you have to look up the legislation that the HC cites) that speed limits aren't applicable to cyclists

Top Bottom