Speeding cyclist and Highway Code Rule 69

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I'm not up to date with the carious by laws / statutory instruments, but my last reading of the Royal Parks regulations had the speed limits applying to "mechanically propelled vehicles" again (thus not including bikes) after a time when they did apply to bikes as well.
There's a Jeremy Vine story in there somewhere if I recall, I'm not bored enough to google it :tongue:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I was stopped by a copper with a speed gun for doing 40mph in a 30mph zone, a nice downhill. It was all friendly. He asked if I was aware I was breaking the speed limit. I said that I was and that speed limit's don't apply to cyclists. He said of course I was quite correct and stopped me just to ask me to take it a bit easy as there had been a few incidents on that stretch of road.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
... but not if you're riding a bike :smile:.

But you still be rightly convicted of "drunk i charge of a carriage" and indeed twok'ing said carriage as an oafish acquantance can testify. He was proper drunk, not merely over the car driving limit so this doesn't strictly contradict your point

The Forth Road Bridge has a 20mph bylaw too but thats partly because the barriers are too low. This is the only pic I could find to give you sense, high enough at a reasonable speed but too fast :ohmy: Its only a 48m fall :ohmy:

But you still be rightly convicted of "drunk i charge of a carriage" ... as an oafish acquantance can testify.
Absolutely ^_^. But it all depends on an officer's judgement as to whether one was cycling in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate way.

Just pray you get the local force joker, who sends you off on your way - cos he's going to enjoy watching your antics. :whistle:

And NOT the British Transport Police, who drive their vans like WVM, and appear to think bikes ride rigid-rail-straight, like trains. DAMHIKT.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Absolutely ^_^. But it all depends on an officer's judgement as to whether one was cycling in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate way.

Just pray you get the local force joker, who sends you off on your way - cos he's going to enjoy watching your antics. :whistle:

And NOT the British Transport Police, who drive their vans like WVM, and appear to think bikes ride rigid-rail-straight, like trains. DAMHIKT.

I think the officer's judgement was entirely sound in the case in point. He'd also twok'd the bike. He got off the more serious charge of theft as the policeman asked "is this your bike sir" and he replied "no, I was just having a go". He was a prize oaf it must be said

Top Bottom