Sportive type bike with rack - Ti or carbon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Happiness Stan

Hi

Looking for a sportive type bike but with eyelets to enable me to use a rack occasionally. Not sure about using a rack with a carbon frame so it looks like Ti or a good quality alu - unless you think carbon wouldn't be a problem.

I've looked at Planet X and Van Nicolas but I wondered if you could recommend any others?

Ta

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'd opt for Ti personally, the VN Amazon would be good, on the carbon front I'd be looking at sports hybrids to get the rack/guards options. Depends on what you plan on using it for, ie do you need clearance for bigger tyres, guards, possible commuting/shopping/light touring duties.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Happiness Stan said:
Sportives followed by a bit of light touring/commuting so I don't need humongous tyres.

I tend to be bias towards the idea of extra clearance but not using it rather than limited from the off. Maximum tyre size you want to run is a key decision as this will be an immovable aspect on bikes. For example:-

up to a 28mm tyre with guards is doable on frames with long drop dual pivot brakes, normal drop you'd probably be limited to 25mm

over 28mm tyres and you need to look at frames with bosses for cantilever brakes.

An example of both in the VN range are the Yukon and the Amazon, I'm getting an Amazon because I want to run larger tyres. Nothing to stop me running skinny tyres on the Amazon either. But if that doesn't bother you then I'd go for the Yukon. Or similar type Ti frames from other makers, Burls, Planet X etc.

Top Bottom