Spot the difference - Vaude Panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuWW

I was going to buy these direct from Vaude at £110
15134_0100_4.png

I then saw these for £86.75 on Amazon
41jog-ylbmL._SS500_.jpg

They are both called - Vaude Aqua Back Plus Waterproof Panniers.

Whats stopped me adding them to my basket on Amazon is that if you look closely the closure of the outside pocket is different, ones a zip, the other seems to be a roll up and buckle closure.

I'm assuming the Amazon ones are an older model, hence the big saving!

Are there any major differences between this two bags apart from the side pocket closure?

Just intrigued before I splash the cash!

Cheers

Stu
www.lifecycler.co.uk

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
i have no idea as to how panniers work as i have never used them. but what seams to be some sort of rail or hanger is higher on one than the other. i don't know if that makes a difference.

OP
OP
StuWW

StuWW

I see what your saying Gaz, although I think that may be because the top pair have more stuffed in them so they aren't rolled down as far! This makes them look taller.

In a way the cheaper bottom set look more appealing as the side pocket doesn't have a zip, rather a roll down lid like the main compartment, one less thing to break.

Still intrigued that I've only ever seen pictures of the Vaude Aqua Back Plus with zips.

Stu

P.H

Über Member
StuWW said:
In a way the cheaper bottom set look more appealing as the side pocket doesn't have a zip, rather a roll down lid like the main compartment, one less thing to break.

Stu

That would be my choice as well. If a zip breaks it'd be a pain to fix, having said that I've had Vaude panniers replaced after three years of use when they developed a fault.
You do need to be a bit carefull with stuff on Amazon, I've found the generic pictures often out of date.

OP
OP
StuWW

StuWW

Thanks PH.

I still can't find another picture on the net with the rollover side pockets. Could this be a new 2010 design, it does say not released until Feb 2010 on Amazon!

Crankarm

Guru
If I might shed some light.

As some may have seen from my other posts I have the rear Vaude Aqua Plus panniers with zipped side pockets which I bought October 2008 from TwoWheelsGood in London.

Mine are just like the ones in the ebay link above although they have an additional piece of fabric acting as a weather strip above the zip of the side pocket.

These are the current models on Vaude's website,

http://www.vaude.com/epages/Vaude-d...ps/Vaude/Products/15134/SubProducts/151340310

I however bought the corresponding front Aquas which don't come with side pocket and Aqua bar bag from Amazon.

Amazon had also put the wrong generic picture up showing the Aqua Pros which have conventional lids but the written description indicated that the bag was the roll top version. Durrr! So over the period of a week I called Amazon several times trying to find out what design the panniers were they had in stock. Eventually one foxy Irish lass arranged for some one to actually go to the racking where they were stored in their huge distribution centre to check. They were the roll tops. She was so sorry that the wrong pic had been posted.

So I couldn't pay for these one remaining pair of Aqua front panniers at £50 (26% off IIRC) and also the one remaining Aqua bar bag at £50 (26% off IIRC as well) fast enough. They arrived separately which I was bemused by having ordered them together, but they were both very well packaged and in new immaculate condition.

I think the side pocket with roll top and securing bucklr might actually be an older version as these are not on Vaude's website. Maybe they were the design of the Worldtramp panniers.

My own zipped versions have been fine no problems what so ever, although ..... one week ago the slider did slip off the end of the zips on one of the side pockets and I can't get it back on. The zip is welded in the pannier material cannot be stretched neither do I want to cause irrepairable damage in trying to force it. The zips should have stoppers at either ends or alternatively the two sides of the zip should be stitched/welded together at the ends.

Other than this the panniers have been absolutely fan dabby dozy brilliant in the 18 months I have had mine using them pretty much everyday. They still clean up like new. They are of course totally water proof including the side pocket (when the zip slider doesn't come off). The zips themselves are fine and show no signs of jamming/splitting which usually happens with pannier zips. Just annoying the slider has come off one of them.

I have emailed Vaude about the zip slider and they say to return them under their warranty. They may repair it or just replace the panniers. Either way I would like the zip modified so it can't happen again.

You won't be disappointed if you buy these panniers. Expensive but they are the best on the market IMHO (zip sliders aside).

I would ring up Amazon and get them to clarify which design/model they have in stock which will mean some one having to go and actually checking them which might take 24hrs or so. If so they are a pretty good buy at £86-87. I paid nearer £100. Some retailers want considerably more.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
StuWW said:
I was going to buy these direct from Vaude at £110

I then saw these for £86.75 on Amazon

They are both called - Vaude Aqua Back Plus Waterproof Panniers.

Whats stopped me adding them to my basket on Amazon is that if you look closely the closure of the outside pocket is different, ones a zip, the other seems to be a roll up and buckle closure.

I'm assuming the Amazon ones are an older model, hence the big saving!

Are there any major differences between this two bags apart from the side pocket closure?

Just intrigued before I splash the cash!

Cheers

Stu
www.lifecycler.co.uk

I think that the ones on Amazon are the new model for 2010, I have a pair on order.

OP
OP
StuWW

StuWW

I was lead to think that after not being able to find a picture of the roll top side pocketed ones anywhere on the net via a google image search!

Are yours on order via Amazon? If not where from and how much?

Cheers

Stu

Crankarm

Guru
StuWW said:
I was lead to think that after not being able to find a picture of the roll top side pocketed ones anywhere on the net via a google image search!

Are yours on order via Amazon? If not where from and how much?

Cheers

Stu

Why don't you just ring Amazon as I suggest above? Have you looked at the link to the Vaude website I posted? The roll top side pockets are an old version as they are not on Vaude's website. See my comments above. Was my post a waste of time?

OP
OP
StuWW

StuWW

Chill Crankarm...;)

Your inputs great and much appreciated and not a waste of time, but just because Vaude are showing a zipped version on their site, doesn't mean that they aren't releasing a new 2010 model tomorrow and Amazon happen to have the picture up already!

As I said, I couldn't find another picture like that any where on Google!

I'm sure the Vaude mystery will be solved soon.... I'm just on the phone to Miss Marple !

Crankarm

Guru
Glad my post wasn't a total waste of time :angry:.

The panniers with roll top side pockets are the version prior to the Aqua the WorldTramp series IIRC. Maybe they are selling off old stock as I think has been suggested, but I doubt it as I couldn't get them when I bought my zipped versions.

http://www.twowheelsgood.co.uk/index.php/product/bags/vaude-tw/WTP2BN-tw.html

TwoWheelsGood still have them on their site (above). When I bought my zipped Aqua Plus rears from them Oct 2008 I asked about them and was told they were the old model and NLA but 2WheelsGood still had to take them off their website. Over 1 year later they still have to do this.

OP
OP
StuWW

StuWW

Now where talking Crankarm, that Twowheelsgood link answers the question, thanks for having a dig about!

But the plot thickens.....

There now Temporarily out of stock on Amazon.

Looks like you may have a bit of a wait HJ.

Let us know when they turn up and what type of side pocket they had.

Cheers all

Stu

Top Bottom