Starting a commuter ‘train’ in Rural Chichester.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My OH is considering a 10 mile cycle to work, which would use rural fast roads towards Chichester, and then out the other end towards Witterings/Selsey, but she would prefer to have someone with her. She’s thinking of starting a group commute, and then joining other staff to ride the last couple of miles. Group rides should bring an increase in safety, mechanical support and visibility.
Has anyone done this before, and are there any pitfalls or good ideas which she should consider?
I can teach her the necessary roadside repairs, but as she has little solo experience, I wondered what you fantastic bunch could offer in the way of experience and advice.
Tar
SnG

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
London Cycling Campaign have run "bike tubes" during tube strikes and Cycle To Work Day and might have advice. There's an email address on https://lcc.org.uk/pages/london-biketubes-2016

Slick

Guru
My OH is considering a 10 mile cycle to work, which would use rural fast roads towards Chichester, and then out the other end towards Witterings/Selsey, but she would prefer to have someone it’s her. She’s thinking of starting a group commute, and then joining other staff to ride the last couple of miles. Group rides should bring an increase in safety, mechanical support and visibility.
Has anyone done this before, and are there any pitfalls or good ideas which she should consider?
I can teach her the necessary roadside repairs, but as she has little solo experience, I wondered what you fantastic bunch could offer in the way of experience and advice.
Tar
SnG
Sorry, no experience or advice but I just wanted to say that it sounds like a great idea and I hope that it works out for her. I could imagine that working in a few different places if it's not already.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Is there another option to rural fast roads.

I can use rural fast roads were I am. But I usually use the alternatives which you would think would add a lot of time to my journey. In reality, it adds on ten minutes at the most and is so much more pleasant and safer than the fast route.

But the idea is excellent.

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
Thanks guys.
There are alternatives, but they would add considerable mileage and time, but are not significantly different in lower road speeds for cars, nor pretty!
I’ve contacted a local ride group, who have no solution, other than to direct me to the possibility of a FB local page, which is a great idea, and we’ll give it a try.

Slick

Guru
Thanks guys.
There are alternatives, but they would add considerable mileage and time, but are not significantly different in lower road speeds for cars, nor pretty!
I’ve contacted a local ride group, who have no solution, other than to direct me to the possibility of a FB local page, which is a great idea, and we’ll give it a try.
Let us know how it goes, I would 've interested to hear.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
There used to be the 'Aire Valley Bike Bus' which ran between Keighley and Bradford for a number of years.

It was aimed at commuters and the route was along an arterial route into and out of Bradford during the rush hour.

People could join at the start or along the way. The experienced guys would ride on the outside and to the rear of the group, thus shielding new riders from the traffic.

I never used it but it was quite a success and got many people onto bikes who wouldn't have commuted on two wheels otherwise.

There's a few videos and articles.on internet.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Links to it on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bike_bus which I didn't find when I thought these were called Bike Trains...

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
Oh, I’d forgotten this post!
So to update, nearly 3 years later, she didn’t have many takers, and I suspect it was directly because of the fast rural road, as at least 2 others were initially interested.
We moved in June last year, and her commute distance is a little less, with only 1 fast road for 1 mile. This road does have many cyclists on it at times, and I suspect that most driver’s using this road are aware of cyclists.
She did cycle commute a good number of times from September, and got to work, (in her words) feeling epic!
She’s looking forward to doing more once the canal towpath dries a little and the temperature increases.
Thanks for your comments in 2018!

Top Bottom