Starting a weight loss diet tomorrow.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
I have been eating more healthily for nearly 3 weeks now. I have to say that I am feeling better, possibly a bit lighter too. My chocolate cravings are all but gone too, as are my crisp cravings. I still want cake but have so far resisted.
I have been walking my client's dogs more briskly too. Not enough in the way of cycling really but I'll get my bum back in gear soon.

My dog's very happy with the plan to be a bit healthier, means longer walks!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My dog's very happy with the plan to be a bit healthier, means longer walks!
Mine too. It was gorgeous this afternoon at 4, the sun setting and the mist rising across the fields. I was quite sad to come back home but the older terrier was getting a bit tired.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Almost two weeks since I've been making an effort to eat better. Its been going well, I did weigh myself and I'd lost 3lb the first week, but haven't weighed myself since then.

Something has happened in that time thats changed my focus somewhat.

Last week my aunty had a heart attack, she had stenting and was discharged home and is recovering slowly but surely.
She's in her mid sixties and her consultant has told her that as my grandad (her dad) died of a heart attack at a similar age its likely that it she, her siblings and myself and my cousins may have a higher risk of having a similar fate.

So, I've spent a bit of time looking at reducing my risks. I take plenty of exersize, don't drink or somoke. I guess the only modification is diet. Looking at reducing the saturated fats and now having porridge with ground flaxseeds for breakfast!

OH is saying go and cholesterol checked as a baseline, which I'm considering.

Oh bugger. I'm getting old.

Last week my aunty had a heart attack, she had stenting and was discharged home and is recovering slowly but surely.
She's in her mid sixties and her consultant has told her that as my grandad (her dad) died of a heart attack at a similar age its likely that it she, her siblings and myself and my cousins may have a higher risk of having a similar fate.

Oh bugger. I'm getting old.

It has nothing to do with your age. It is to do with your genes which you had no choice.
Assuming your facts are correct, I suggest you go and see your GP. Then the GP will be able to arrange all the tests needed to diagnose hypercholesterolaemia in the family. I think there is NICE guidance that GP will need to follow. You can access that yourself on line. It has implications for your children as well.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
It has nothing to do with your age. It is to do with your genes which you had no choice.
Assuming your facts are correct, I suggest you go and see your GP. Then the GP will be able to arrange all the tests needed to diagnose hypercholesterolaemia in the family. I think there is NICE guidance that GP will need to follow. You can access that yourself on line. It has implications for your children as well.
Yes I appreciate its genes, but I'm getting to an age where I can't avoid worrying about it. I asked my Mum if she thought she should consider adjusting her diet given whats just happened to my Aunt, and she just shrugged and said she thinks its too late to make a significant difference now :sad:

Bad times, because another aunt (by marriage) has just moved to a care home. Although she's only just turned sixty, she's got advanced alzeimhers and it was no longer possible for her to live at home. :sad:

All this family gloom is very sad making me a bit too aware of my own mortality. Are women allowed to have a mid life crisis?

Last edited:
Ha ha, I have all of them.
Mid life crisis, road bike and lycra, so I am am a typical MAMIL and a sports car

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Ha ha, I have all of them.
Mid life crisis, road bike and lycra, so I am am a typical MAMIL and a sports car
Oh dear. I lost my husband to a mid life crisis. It wasn't much fun at the time, but I now have a better model in situ, so it all worked out well in the end!

Last edited:
Top Bottom