Stop at lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simmi

Über Member
In general I would never jump a red light but there are a few sets near me on very quiet roads that are triggered by pressure pads under the road. I have been sat a one set for over 5 minutes waiting for a car to come along and trigger it, so I have to say if the road is clear I will go on red at one of these junctions.

edindave

Über Member
In general I would never jump a red light but there are a few sets near me on very quiet roads that are triggered by pressure pads under the road. I have been sat a one set for over 5 minutes waiting for a car to come along and trigger it, so I have to say if the road is clear I will go on red at one of these junctions.

I'm pretty sure there is stipulation for this circumstance whereby you can go through a red light if it will not trigger.

doog

I'm pretty sure there is stipulation for this circumstance whereby you can go through a red light if it will not trigger.

no defence in law but I dont think the law extends that far ^_^. I mean in the time you are sat there you have plenty of time for scan for rozzers as a last resort that is.

OP
OP
stu9000

stu9000

Jesus, I stumbled into that one.
Gotta say, I don't see an equal parity between a car and bike. As a pedestrian, do you always wait for the light? I'm guessing not and might, if i was feeling cocky, argue that bikes fall some where in between.

Look, tempting though it is to react, I'm not here to throw my weight around.
Thanks for the posts and not biting my head off even though I sense some strongly felt views. I'll give it some thought.

Off topic a little, but I see cyclist's on the pavement (and not those just nipping to the local shop or kids), and apart from the legal aspect, I wonder how much extra hard work it is to stop at junctions cross as a pedestrian (be it on the bike or not) and then continue cycling, is it quicker, sure cant be easy.

sheffgirl

Off topic a little, but I see cyclist's on the pavement (and not those just nipping to the local shop or kids), and apart from the legal aspect, I wonder how much extra hard work it is to stop at junctions cross as a pedestrian (be it on the bike or not) and then continue cycling, is it quicker, sure cant be easy.

I've started riding my whole route to work on the road. There is a cycle/shared use path most of the way, but it is slower to use this because are quite a few junctions I have to prepare to potentially stop at. One of the junctions is particularly busy and somewhat of a blind corner, I can't see cars indicating until a short distance before they turn (thats if they do bother to indicate), so I sometimes jump off and push the bike, it feels safer and I can turn my head to look easier. On the road it is easier since I don't have to look over my shoulder as often, I can just follow the flow of the traffic.
I just tried to count, and I go through at least 10 sets of traffic lights on my way to work, and that's in a 3 miles journey, no wonder it takes so long in a car! It might be more than that, I lost count at ten.

I've started riding my whole route to work on the road. There is a cycle/shared use path most of the way, but it is slower to use this because are quite a few junctions I have to prepare to potentially stop at. One of the junctions is particularly busy and somewhat of a blind corner, I can't see cars indicating until a short distance before they turn (thats if they do bother to indicate), so I sometimes jump off and push the bike, it feels safer and I can turn my head to look easier. On the road it is easier since I don't have to look over my shoulder as often, I can just follow the flow of the traffic.
I find this, those I have used, and generally full of nasty things the dont like tyres too much.

SWSteve

Guru
I think the only times I encounter red lights are at large light-controlled roundabouts or pedestrian crossings (aside from a railway bridge which demands you ride on the middle of it to avoid an incident) and I wouldn't run these as I like having legs/arms/lungs/teeth/toes/organs (delete as appropriate) that work

Duckehhh

only time i dont stop is when i finish work late night/early morning and the roads are empty. i dont particularly want to be waiting for the elongated lights on my own in hackney, east london. dont fancy getting jumped and stabbed. but i will slow down, and be cautious, i wont just shoot across and hope for the best.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
It's a very sensitive issue for cyclists. If everybody used the streets with consideration there would be no problems whatsoever - we wouldn't even need pavements. But we have a private car entitlement road culture and, almost without exception, traffic lights and one way systems exist to regulate the dangers presented (but simultaneously condoned) by this sense of entitlement. Somehow cyclists got caught up the road regulations as traffic despite not being part of the danger (yes, I know some cyclists cause accidents and there have been fatalities to pedestrians, usually on pavements and caused by ''entitlement'' cycling" - luckily, none this year as far as I know). Cyclists have a different degree of moral obligation to obey the rules of the road but it's a moral obligation all the same. How you deal with the ''us and them'' argument is one you'll regularly come up against. You may accept this argument or you may decide that the ''us and them'' approach preceded anything any living cyclist might do on today's roads.... Whatever, you'll still have to accept the sanctions of the law when they are applied.

Personally, I have no problem at all with considerate road use, even when it's at odds with car-centric legislation because that's how living streets work. Just don't expect any approval from cycling forums.

It's a PR disaster for cyclists 99.99% of the time it is pure selfish 'because I know I'll not get caught' not for any other reason and unfortunately it did go wrong last week.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ter-news/elderly-man-dies-after-being-1946103

Agree with DM, if you do choose to do it expect no sympathy from drivers or pedestrians and precious little from cyclists.

Stu9000 you may not see cars and bikes the same on the road, but the law does & bringing pedestrians in is disingenuous, as a legal entity you are a vehicle, you are also using the road in a whole different way to someone from a pavement barely interacting with it.

Some of us have been on the receiving end of abuse etc for RLJ when we don't, it grates and I doubt there's a person on here who hasn't come off worst from a momentary misjudgement from a driver at a turn etc, where the law & Highway Code is specific but they see it as a minor indiscretion that they do every day and are always careful and considerate about, right up to the one time it goes wrong and its some other poor sod that carries the consequences.

Handy hint: tell people your definitive views on helmets, hi-viz, riding with headphones on & wether or not we should have Dutch infrastructure to segregate us from other traffic. Equally bland and non controversial topics.

vickster

Legendary Member
Always stop and I am happy to abuse RLJ cyclists. There is no LAW that says pedestrians in the UK have to wait for the green man unlike in Germany and Austria (where pedestrians will be fined for jay walking).
However there is a law that says that cars and bicycles must wait for the green light / stop at red lights.

Why do you do it, because you're an impatient so and so presumably? You'll get no sympathy from me if you get squashed. But I would feel sorry for the motorist whose life you would have ruined through no fault of their own.

Might feel a little sorry for your squashed now-not-so-shiny Triban too - especially as there are plenty of people out there struggling to buy one who might have appreciated it more :whistle:

Top Bottom