Stop at lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I always stop- I don't have many around here so it's not really a problem- but I make a point of stopping just to prove a point to the following motorist who probably assumes I won't be!

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
As shown on many headcam video's it doesn't really get you where you are going any faster and if anything will shorten your journey permanently.....for life. It's one of the things that really gets my blood up, and I frequently shout at RLJ'ers to stop. Most of them shrug as if to say "what you on about?", like they really don't think they are doing anything wrong. If they got to see the consequences of their stupidity (grieving families, orphaned children, the car/lorry driver traumatised after the accident) then maybe they would change their ways, but this won't happen ....as they will be DEAD.

JUST DON'T DO IT...EVER. It's just not worth it for the sake of a few seconds.

malcermie

I would rather extend my journey time by thirty seconds than shorten my life by thirty years!!!!! NEVER jump a light and that goes for railway crossings as well, a few months ago while waiting at on a 'real' cyclist in lycra and on a road bike overtook me and zigzaged across the crossing a driver on the other side hooted him and he gave the driver the finger!!! Not a great example of considerate cycling.

vickster

Legendary Member
And what is it with the idiots who trackstand in the middle of busy junctions (also dual carriageways) waiting for the lights to change? Do they think it's cool or something? :wacko:

Let's slightly rephrase that first post?

So I took my shiny BMW X3 out for the second time today. I admit I'm not always keen to stop at lights, when its safe, and I'm not carving my way through pedestrians. Is this a no no? I know some people don't like it but its never bothered me as long as it is considerate.

In the simplest form the problem with interaction on the roads is that you place an implicit trust in complete strangers to behave in a certain rational way and observe / obey certain laws and conventions

You assume that they will stop at a junction, entering a roundabout, at lights. If they do then the interaction proceeds without a hitch and everyone is safe.

You weigh up the facts and "Know" that the car approaching the roundabout is going to stop and allow you to pass their entry safely. That is the decision you make when you proceed.

As soon as someone fails to comply with the rules their behaviour is erratic and unpredictable.That is when people get hurt and killed. The car does not stop...............

Of course this is simplistic and we all have much more complex decision making systems built on experience, personal skills and defensive riding techniques, but in a basic form the above is the key to a safe system.

I'm pretty sure there is stipulation for this circumstance whereby you can go through a red light if it will not trigger.

You can cross a red light for many reasons if it is justifiable.

If you have waited a reasonable period of time and the light has not triggered, or has malfunctioned
If you need to cross the line to make way for an emergency vehicle

However the offence is still committed you are simply offering mitigation for that offence

OP
OP
stu9000

stu9000

OK. I asked the question and I got an answer. Thanks. For my own safety and the rep cyclists have I'll be stopping at red.

Job done.

But I'm a bit shocked at some of the puritans. I browsed the link to the other thread about reds, and drifted across the helmet debate.

People who write that they would leave cyclists where they fell without sympathy are surely guilty of at least as great a crime. There are higher laws than what is just written in the book. And the net is a great place for throw away comments isn't it.

To be fair, I doubt they actually would walk on by. But it grates. Just because its the law doesn't make it right and ill make up my own mind thanks v much. Which is why I asked the question.

Cyclists need the law to be safe . I get that. We share the road. But all this quoting makes me twitch. Maybe these people always stay below 70mph on the motorway but I doubt it. Maybe they agree with rules on gay marriage. Maybe they, if they are old enough, remember the criminal justice act and its rules on repetitive beats and groups of 5 people or more. Maybe they've never so much as had a late library book. Good for them. Err. Drifting massively off topic now so I'll stop there. We can start another thread in the social contract if anyone fancies it. :confused:

As I wrote earlier, I asked the question and got good answers. Loving this forum. Cheers. S

theloafer

Legendary Member
If you ride your bike on the road then you must obey the rules of the road.

simple,s..^_^

Reactions: akb

Lanzecki

Über Member
It's a PR disaster for cyclists 99.99% of the time it is pure selfish 'because I know I'll not get caught' not for any other reason and unfortunately it did go wrong last week.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ter-news/elderly-man-dies-after-being-1946103

Where does it say the cyclist ran the lights?

To the OP. Red lights are there for a reason. To stop you from doing something silly. Please don't do it for you sake, and the sake of other road users.

Alan57

Just because there are a myriad of idiots out in society in cars ,walking ,cycling and whatever else who are doing things they shouldn`t and getting away with it doesn`t make it o.k. We ride on the road and should obey the laws of the road , it stops the cyclist hating motorist , of which there seem to be a lot, having the ammunition to berate us and justify their totally wrong view of cyclists. Stop on the red and keep yourself and others safe and maybe gain a bit more respect for cyclists as a responsible group. Too many motorists and pedestrians think we are idiots to be blocked in , knocked off and otherwise abused ,don`t give them reason to do and think it. Cheers

To the OP, it's not a big issue (ok maybe for some it is, not for me). I run 'em all the time if the road is clear and no police in sight. I don't care what other cyclists think, if they get all hot 'n' bothered about me jumping the odd light, that's their issue not mine. Likewise for peds and drivers, who cares what they think.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
To the OP, it's not a big issue (ok maybe for some it is, not for me). I run 'em all the time if the road is clear and no police in sight. I don't care what other cyclists think, if they get all hot 'n' bothered about me jumping the odd light, that's their issue not mine. Likewise for peds and drivers, who cares what they think.
Well, if you want to get crucified you might as well choose the right time of year for it....:laugh:

geo

Don't jump red lights in my car, so why would I do it on my bike ?
The likely loser to those that do is more often than not going to be the cyclist in the event of an accident.
Also spare a thought for any innocent motorist who mames or kills a light jumping cyclist. I know I wouldnt like to live with it be it the cyclists fault or not

Alan57

Yeah very impressive .

Top Bottom