Stop at lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stu9000

So I took my shiny new triban 3 out for the second time today. I admit I'm not always keen to stop at lights, when its safe, and I'm not carving my way through pedestrians. Is this a no no? I know some care drivers don't like it but its never bothered me as long as it is considerate.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Is breaking the law considerate?

AndyPeace

I think this has been done before ...
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-do-people-think-of-jumping-lights.108286/post-1996799

Personally I don't but then I don't cross that many traffic lights on my routes. I can see the argument that if it's safe and clear, why wait around...but I feel if I'm on the road, I'm following the rules of the road, least I should loose ground in an argument on cyclists rights or misjudge/have random catastrophe that I then would be clearly libale for!

Kies

In 2012 i would run certain red lights.
Proud to say in 2013 i have not run a single light, it has actually made my riding more enjoyable, allowing a quick sip of water or a chat with a felow cyclist.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It's a very sensitive issue for cyclists. If everybody used the streets with consideration there would be no problems whatsoever - we wouldn't even need pavements. But we have a private car entitlement road culture and, almost without exception, traffic lights and one way systems exist to regulate the dangers presented (but simultaneously condoned) by this sense of entitlement. Somehow cyclists got caught up the road regulations as traffic despite not being part of the danger (yes, I know some cyclists cause accidents and there have been fatalities to pedestrians, usually on pavements and caused by ''entitlement'' cycling" - luckily, none this year as far as I know). Cyclists have a different degree of moral obligation to obey the rules of the road but it's a moral obligation all the same. How you deal with the ''us and them'' argument is one you'll regularly come up against. You may accept this argument or you may decide that the ''us and them'' approach preceded anything any living cyclist might do on today's roads.... Whatever, you'll still have to accept the sanctions of the law when they are applied.

Personally, I have no problem at all with considerate road use, even when it's at odds with car-centric legislation because that's how living streets work. Just don't expect any approval from cycling forums.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Cyclists who jump red really, really, really grate me. If all drivers of vehicles went through on their own judgement because they thought it was 'safe' and 'considerate', imagine what would happen...... So you jump a red whilst cycling, and, at the same time, a car driver goes though on their red, because you both think it's safe..... bike in the skip, you in a box..... Not for me thank you very much, I'll obey the rules of the road.

Yesterday a car jumped a red light, if I had been 1/2's quicker, I wouldn't be typing this quite simple because the junction is blind from where I was, so there would be no time to react, no one should jump a light. As was mentioned a quick brake and a sip. it's what I do.

Top Bottom