Stop at lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul04

Über Member
In general I would never jump a red light but there are a few sets near me on very quiet roads that are triggered by pressure pads under the road. I have been sat a one set for over 5 minutes waiting for a car to come along and trigger it, so I have to say if the road is clear I will go on red at one of these junctions.

99.9% of the time I will not jump a red light, there is one set of lights on my way to work, which is a quiet side road, and no matter what I do I can not trigger the lights. so I go throught them nice and slow. If there is a car waiting at these lights, then I will wait.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Where does it say the cyclist ran the lights?

To the OP. Red lights are there for a reason. To stop you from doing something silly. Please don't do it for you sake, and the sake of other road users.

Pelican crossing so I'm going for no lights but on the road so the onus was on the road users to at least not plough into him,, close enough in my book to taking liberties with red lights, maybe not everyone's tho.

Widge

Baldy Go
I'm surprised that in the beginner forum, anyone would blatantly give the impression that it is 'sometimes' ok to disregard the law of the road. I am equally surprised that anyone would equally blatantly ask it if I am quite honest, but then.....(but only if no cops are looking) I DO quite often cycle the wrong way down motorways and haven't caused an accident yet at all....even with my hands off the bars and my wife on the crossbar!

Seriously though.........jumping red lights is not the correct thing to do. Just say no.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I'm surprised that in the beginner forum, anyone would blatantly give the impression that it is 'sometimes' ok to disregard the law of the road.
Sometimes it is OK to disregard the law of the road:
Home Office minister Paul Boateng wrote the following [ref pavement cycling]: "The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of the traffic, and who show consideration to other pavement users.

"Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required."

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/comment/james-daley-the-cycling-column-400076.html

Widge

Baldy Go
Ah...well found Dan! Thanks.

I see that the article in fact even goes so far as to suggest it IS officially ok to jump lights as long as it is done in a considerate and responsible way.

So now I'm just confused :crazy:.............I would still feel uncomfortable doing it though - but that's just me :angel: !!

vickster

Legendary Member
Did the law actually get changed regarding RLJing or was it just guidance from a politician in 2007 who is no longer in office, or just the musings of a journalist? I am not sure what the article is actually saying - the guidance seems to be about pavement usage not jumping red lights - that appears to be a comment from the jouranlist not the HO

Dan B

Disengaged member
I see that the article in fact even goes so far as to suggest it IS officially ok to jump lights as long as it is done in a considerate and responsible way.
Not by my reading of it. It says it should (in the author's opinion) be. Newspaper writers don't (yet) make the law in this country, though ...

Dan B

Disengaged member
Did the law actually get changed regarding RLJing or was it just guidance from a politician in 2007 who is no longer in office, or just the musings of a journalist? I am not sure what the article is actually saying - the guidance seems to be about pavement usage not jumping red lights - that appears to be a comment from the jouranlist not the HO
The guidance is indeed about pavement cycling. I mentioned it only as pavement cycling is also part of 'the law of the road', which is a much broader subject than simply RLJ

400bhp

Guru
It's good to stop. I've never met one RLJ'er that can outrun me even when jumping many sets. It's good interval training, you'll get fitter and keep passing the idiot that sails through. They are generally unfit.

Best being on the right side of the law, get squished jumping a red light, then there will be no compensation for a squished bike and possibly permanent injuries.

+1.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
So I took my shiny new triban 3 out for the second time today. I admit I'm not always keen to stop at lights, when its safe, and I'm not carving my way through pedestrians. Is this a no no? I know some care drivers don't like it but its never bothered me as long as it is considerate.
If you expect any modicum of respect on the road, obey the law. It's not difficult and it builds fitness.

As a matter of interest what other lawas do you feel do not apply to you ?

For me...drinking age (many many years ago), speeding, trespass, riding on pavement, riding on footpaths, swearing in public, spiting on the street (though the law may have changed on this one), riding wrong way up one way streets, having pedal reflectors, using a cell phone while driving, etc, etc..... really you want the whole list?

Just puts thing
For me...drinking age (many many years ago), speeding, trespass, riding on pavement, riding on footpaths, swearing in public, spiting on the street (though the law may have changed on this one), riding wrong way up one way streets, having pedal reflectors, using a cell phone while driving, etc, etc..... really you want the whole list?

Just puts things in perspective..... your answer suffices.

It appears that you both drive and cycle like a muppet!

The Boateng "criteria" depended on three things. Being "In fear" responsible and being safe

Simply put, a child or adult riding slowly along the pavement beside a busy dual carriageway would pass the criteria and noyt be eligible for an on the spot fine

Muppet on racing bike at 20 mph in a busy pedestrian precinct would fail

Dan B

Disengaged member
Simply put, a child or adult riding slowly along the pavement beside a busy dual carriageway would pass the criteria and noyt be eligible for an on the spot fine
A child riding slowly on the pavement beside a busy dual carriageway would be perfectly eligible for a fine, criteria notwithstanding. That's still what the law says, the criteria merely form advice from the people who made it on when to pay attention to it

Top Bottom